The Indiana State Department of Health is urging eligible Hoosier seniors to sign up for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program.
Health officials urge eligible Hoosiers to sign up for food assistance
Indianapolis, Indiana (May 28, 2021) — Seniors aged 60 or older in certain Indiana counties who have a household income at or below 130 percent of the current federal poverty income guidelines are encouraged to sign up for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP), which supplies free food to seniors.
Eligible individuals must meet the income criteria and live in Allen, Brown, Crawford, Dearborn, DeKalb, Dubois, Elkhart, Gibson, Hendricks, Huntington, Johnson, LaGrange, Lake, LaPorte, Lawrence, Marion, Marshall, Martin, Monroe, Morgan, Noble, Ohio, Orange, Owen, Perry, Porter, Posey, Spencer, St. Joseph, Steuben, Switzerland, Vanderburgh, Warrick or Whitley counties.
Each state in the federal CSFP program has a maximum number of seniors who can receive the monthly USDA food packages. In Indiana, 5,560 seniors can receive free food through the program.
Because the population of eligible seniors changes frequently, Indiana maintains a waiting list to ensure that 100 percent of the food packages are used each month. If the state does not achieve 100 percent participation, the maximum number of individuals who can receive food packages may be reduced.
State health official estimate that about 100,000 potentially eligible seniors in the state are not enrolled in the program.
CSFP works to improve the health of low-income persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA foods. The monthly packages include animal protein, plant-based protein, fruits, vegetables, starches, milk, grains and cheese.
Visit the state Department of Health’s website at health.in.gov for important health and safety information or follow us on Twitter at @StateHealthIN and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/StateHealthIN.
COVID-19 World Wide Web Resources
Allen County Department of Health COVID-19 Guidance and Local Resources
State of Indiana Web Resources:
- Gov. Holcomb Statement on Pandemic-Related Unemployment Insurance Programs
- Indiana’s Mortgage Assistance Program
- Eligible? Click here to register and make an appointment
- Indiana State Department of Health’s COVID-19 information and stats
- Indiana Executive Orders issued during the COVID-19 pandemic: 2020 | 2021
Other Web Resources:
- Janssen Johnson and Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Fact Sheet
- Recipients of the COVID-19 vaccines should sign up for V-safe, the after-vaccination health checker
- Free rides for COVID-19 vaccinations in NE Indiana
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 webpage
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s COVID-19 cases in the United States
- John Hopkins’ COVID-19 Dashboard
- COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program
- Latest news from Google News