Parks and Recreation Department Announces Summer Program Changes
(May 14, 2020) – The Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department has announced some changes to summer programs and events, based on Governor Holcomb’s Back on Track plan in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. A full listing of changes can be found at FortWayneParks.org.
Some of the summer changes include:
- Parks and Recreation Main Office (705 E. State Blvd.) opens to the public on May 18, but residents are encouraged to complete transactions over the phone (260-427-6000) or online (FortWayneParks.org).
- Fort Wayne city golf courses are currently open with social distancing practices in place
- Parks and Trails remain open, with the public encouraged to maintain proper social distancing
- Park Playgrounds will be open as of May 24; supervised summer playground program will be closed all summer
- The Lawton Skate Park will open May 24
- The downtown Community Center will open at 50% capacity starting June 14
- The Botanical Conservatory will open at 50% capacity starting June 14
- Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Youth Centers will remain closed
- Tennis, Basketball, and Futsal Courts will be open as of May 24
- Dog Parks are currently open for residents with Dog Park Memberships (memberships are available through the Parks and Recreation office)
- Pavilions will be open to limited capacity starting June 1; full capacity starting July 4
- Franke Park Day Camp: Week 1 programs (June 8-12) are cancelled; following weeks are still scheduled, but may be cancelled based on CDC recommendations
- Salomon Farm Camp: Week 1 programs (June 8-12) are cancelled; following weeks are still scheduled, but may be cancelled based on CDC recommendations
- Fort Wayne city pools will be closed for the season; Spraygrounds will open May 24
- The Lifetime Sports Academy program is cancelled for the season
All updated dates are subject to change based on guidance from the CDC and the Governor’s plan for the state.
Customers who are affected by these closings and cancellations will be contacted directly with refund and/or exchange information.
For more information about Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation programs and a full list of summer schedule changes, visit FortWayneParks.org.