Press release from The Three Rivers Festival:
Three Rivers Festival Announces Winners of Events
(July 16, 2010) – The Three Rivers Festival Bed Race was won for the fourth time by the team from DeBrand Chocolates. The second-place finishers from St. Joseph Hospital gave them a good race. The Coney Island team was awarded third place. The People’s Choice winner was Imago Dei. This year, the people voted by donating “Bucks4Beds” with proceeds going to the Mustard Seed Beds4Kids program. A total of $255 was contributed to this non-profit agency to benefit children under the age of 18 who do not have a bed of their own.
Mustard Seed Director Suzie Jordan shared, “we appreciate the generosity of the crowd and opportunity to partner with the Three Rivers Festival Bed Race. We also thank our co-sponsors for this project; Wolf Corporation, Pretzels Inc. and the Snider football team volunteers.”
Other teams rounding out the field of eleven competitors in the Bed Race this year included; the Green Frog, Secret Fort Wayne, Tin Caps, Waters of Fort Wayne, Courtyard Marriot, West Central Mayhem and Pizza Hut.
The Three Rivers Festival Waiter-Waitress Contest presented by Sysco and the Convention and Visitors Bureau was held at the Festival Plaza this year and drew eleven competing teams representing: Trolley Steak & Seafood, Don Hall’s Triangle Park, Bandito’s, Red River Steak House, Marriott/Rum Runners, El Azteca and O’Charley’s. First place went to the Marriott Banquet team the “Red Coats” Gary, Kyle & Grant. Second place was Trolley Steaks & Seafood, and Marriott scored again in third place with their room service team the “Natural Born Grillers.”
The PNC Three Rivers Festival Parade kicked off festival week with thousands lining the streets to enjoy nearly 140 entries. Grand Marshals Michael and Dave Franke and Mike Nutter representing our city’s championship sports teams, the Komets and the Tin Caps. An added bonus was the appearance of the Indianapolis Colts sponsored by National Serv-All.
- Sweepstakes Award Commercial, Sharon’s Victorian Gifts
- Best Overall Non-commercial, Windsong Pictures
- Mayor’s Award Commercial, Brown Mackie College
- Most Original Non-commercial, Ivy Tech Community College
- TRF Parade Award Commercial, Lutheran Health Network
- Best Fun in the Sun Theme Non-commercial, Good Shepherd United Methodist Church
- Admiral Andy Award Commercial, Do it Best Corporation
- Most Educational Non-commercial, Kekionga Middle School
- Sweepstakes Award Commercial, Rock 104
- Non-commercial, Fort Wayne Chinese Family & Friends Assoc.
The Fun in the Sun festival button design contest winner was Jimmie Trotter.