News release from Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation:
March 21 Butterfly Release Event Cancelled at Conservatory
(March 19, 2020) – With the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory currently closed to the public, the Painted Lady Butterfly Release scheduled for this Saturday, March 21 at the Conservatory has been cancelled.
For those who have hatched a Painted Lady butterfly from one of the Conservatory butterfly kits, here are some tips:
- A Painted Lady adult butterfly can live 2-4 weeks after emerging from its chrysalis if kept fed and sheltered from cold
- They prefer flower nectar, but a Painted Lady can also happily sip from a slice of freshly-cut orange or watermelon
- An artificial nectar can be served in a small dish with crumpled tissue inside, to give the butterfly a perch
- A recipe for artificial nectar is 2 teaspoons of white or brown sugar dissolved in ½ cup of clean water
- Release the butterfly outdoors when temperatures are consistently above 55-60ºF; it cannot fly in cooler temps
For updates on the Botanical Conservatory, visit BotanicalConservatory.org.