News release from the Fort Wayne Community Schools:
Schools Kick Off School Year with Back-to-School Nights
(August 11, 2016) – Schools are welcoming students and parents back to school over the next few weeks for the annual Back-to-School Nights. The events give families the opportunity to see where their children learn as they tour the schools, visit classrooms and meet teachers. Some open their doors before the first day of school to allow students to bring in their supplies and meet their teacher in advance. Families in several buildings will also get to see building improvements made over the summer.
Many schools also combine the evening with dinner, the annual flower and plant show or the annual Title I meeting (for those schools required to hold such meetings). The elementary schools’ plant shows are the results of students’ hard work over the summer. In the spring, the Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation Department provides plants to encourage students to learn to develop a green thumb while caring for their own flowers and plants.
Below is a schedule of Back-to-School Nights. For more information about your child’s Back-to-School Night, contact your school.
School / Date / Time / Additional Activities
- Abbett Aug. 17 6-8 p.m. Flower show
- Adams Aug. 24 5-7 p.m.
- Arlington Aug. 31 6-7 p.m. Flower show
- Blackhawk Aug. 25 6 p.m.
- Brentwood Sept. 7 6-7 p.m. Plant show and Title I meeting
- Bunche Sept. 7 6:30-8 p.m.
- Croninger Sept. 1 6-7:30 Plant show
- Fairfield Sept. 6 5 p.m. Title I meeting, plant show & refreshments
- Forest Park Aug. 22 6-7 p.m. Plant show
- Glenwood Park Aug. 18 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- Haley Sept. 8 5:30-7 p.m.
- Harris Aug. 23 6-7 p.m.
- Harrison Hill Sept. 8 5:30-7 p.m. Title I meeting
- Indian Village Aug. 24 6-7:30 p.m. Title I meeting
- Jefferson Aug. 25 6 p.m.
- Kekionga Aug. 17 5:30-7 p.m. Title I meeting
- Lakeside Aug. 31 5:30-7 p.m. Title I meeting
- Lane Aug. 26 6-7:30 p.m.
- Lincoln Aug. 30 6-8 p.m. PTA ice cream social
- Lindley Sept. 8 6-7 p.m. Plant show and Title I meeting
- Maplewood Aug. 25 5:30-7 p.m.
- Memorial Park Aug. 30 6-7 p.m.
- Miami Aug. 24 5:30-7 p.m. Title I meeting
- Northcrest Sept. 1 6-7:30 Title I meeting
- Northrop Sept. 8 6 p.m.
- Northwood Aug. 30 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- North Side Aug. 30 6-7:30 p.m. Ice cream social
- Portage Sept. 15 6 p.m. Football game tailgating
- Scott Aug. 17 4:30-6:30 p.m. Title I meeting
- Shawnee Sept. 1 6:30-8 p.m. Title I meeting
- Snider Aug. 31 6:20-8:10 p.m.
- South Side Aug. 24 6-7 p.m.
- South Wayne Sept. 1 6 p.m. Title I meeting & ice cream social
- St. Joseph Central Aug. 31 6:30-7:30
- Towles Aug. 24 6 p.m. Plant show
- Washington Center Aug. 11 6 p.m. Bring school supplies
- Wayne Aug. 26 5-7 p.m. Tailgate at 6:15 p.m. prior to Wayne vs. Luers football game
- Waynedale Aug. 24 5-6:30 p.m. Barbecue and Title I meeting
- Whitney Young Sept. 1 6-7 p.m.
About Fort Wayne Community Schools
With nearly 30,000 students, Fort Wayne Community Schools is one of the largest school districts in Indiana. FWCS proudly allows families to choose any of its 50 schools through its successful school-choice program creating diversity in each school, including some with more than 75 languages spoken. FWCS offers seven magnet schools focusing on areas such as science and math, communication, fine arts or Montessori at the elementary and middle school level. In high school, students can choose from the prestigious International Baccalaureate program, Project Lead the Way or New Tech Academy as well as other rigorous academic and specialty training programs.