News release from the American Red Cross:
Donate blood with the Red Cross to support organ transplant patients and others needing blood
October is Liver Awareness Month
(September 14, 2015) â€” During Liver Awareness Month this October, the American Red Cross encourages eligible donors to give blood and platelets to support liver transplant patients and others needing blood products.
Liver transplants are the second most common type of transplant with more than 6,000 performed in the U.S. each year, according to the American Liver Foundation. Liver transplant patients may require in excess of 30 pints of blood during surgery.
For blood donor Amy Slattery, the need for blood hits close to home. Her mother received a liver transplant and needed more than 70 blood products during the surgery.
“I donate to help others that needed blood like her,” said Slattery. “I donate in thanks to those who donate their blood products to help save lives.”
Volunteer donors like Slattery are the only source of blood for those in need of transfusions during transplants and other surgeries. Donors with all blood types are needed, and especially those with types O negative, A negative, B negative and AB blood.
To make an appointment to donate blood, eligible donors are encouraged to download the new Red Cross Blood Donor App from app stores or text BLOODAPP to 90999 to receive a download link, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- 10/2/2015: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., Adams Memorial Hospital, 1100 Mercer Ave. in Decatur.
- 10/5/2015: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m., Lehman Park Pavilion, 667 Lehman St. in Berne.
- 10/12/2015: 11:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Riverside Center, 231 East Monroe St. in Decatur.
- 10/2/2015: 8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Mill Supplies Inc., 5105 Industrial Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 10/5/2015: 2 p.m. – 8 p.m., Christian Community Center of Harlan, 12616 Spencerville Rd. in Harlan.
- 10/8/2015: 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Belmont Beverage, 3309 North Anthony Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- 10/10/2015: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., St. Michael Lutheran Church, 2131 Getz Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 10/14/2015: 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., Triple Crown Services, 2720 Dupont Commerce Court, Suite 200 in Fort Wayne.
- 10/14/2015: 1 p.m. – 3 p.m., Tomkinson BMW, 929 Ave. of Autos, 14/69 Auto Mall in Fort Wayne.
- 10/14/2015: 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Manchester University College of Pharmacy, 10627 Diebold Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 10/6/2015: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 1203 East 7th St. in Auburn.
- 10/6/2015: 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., American Legion Garrett, 515 W. 5th Ave. in Garrett.
- 10/13/2015: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., DeKalb Molded Plastics, 550 W. Main St. in Butler.
- 10/5/2015: 2 p.m. – 7 p.m., Evangelical United Methodist Church, 1000 Flaxmill Rd. in Huntington.
- 10/14/2015: 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Pathfinder Services Main Campus, 2824 Theater Ave. in Huntington.
- 10/3/2015: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 10275 E 550 S in Stroh.
- 10/6/2015:Â 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., KZ-RV, 0985 N 900 W in Shipshewana.
- 10/9/2015: 11:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Lima-Brighton Elementary School, 3rd and Market St. in Howe.
- 10/13/2015: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., LaGrange First Church of God, 777 N. Detroit St. in LaGrange.
- 10/1/2015: 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Rome City Elementary School, 400 Jefferson St. in Rome City.
- 10/5/2015: 2 p.m. – 7 p.m., Grace Christian Church, 126 E. Mitchell St. in Kendallville.
- 10/14/2015: 2:30 p.m. – 7 p.m., South Side Elementary, 1350 Sherman St. in Kendallville.
- 10/7/2015: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Sonlight Community Church, 455 N Gerald Lett Ave. in Angola.
- 10/12/2015: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 700 West Maumee St. in Angola.
- 10/15/2015: 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., American Legion Post 423, 6215 S.R. 327 in Orland.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Whole Blood Donations
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Monday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 1 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Sunday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
Whole Blood Donations
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: closed
- Friday and Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: 6 a.m. – noon
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.