News release from the Allen County Sheriff’s Department:
Maintenance at Jail Leads to Cell Block Evacuation
(September 15, 2015) – At approximately 8:42 this morning a maintenance worker at the Allen County Jail was using a grinder in a second floor cell of B-Block. It appears that a spark from the grinder may have landed in the ventilation system and caused the block to fill with smoke. Although there was no actual fire, the block was evacuated within minutes. Approximately 60 inmates were moved to another area of the facility. The smoke was contained to the cell block and the inmates were evacuated before the smoke filled the area. The Fort Wayne Fire Department responded and used fans to ventilate the area. No injuries were reported.