News release from the TinCaps:
Another 2009 TinCap Makes it to the Show
’09 Team Extends Record for Number of Major Leaguers on a Single-A Team
(September 15, 2015) â€” Last September, the 2009 Midwest League Championship-winning TinCaps team made history by sending its 17th former player to the big leagues. According to https://www.sports-reference.com/ President Sean Forman, no other Single-A team in MiLB history has produced more future major leaguers.
Cody Decker became the 19th on Sunday after Allan Dykstra made his Major League debut back on April 8th for the Tampa Bay Rays. Decker was promoted to the San Diego Padres roster after spending the entire 2015 season with the Triple-A El Paso Chihuahuas. He had a pinch-hit at-bat in his first game on Monday night.
“That was one of the best single-A teams ever,” TinCaps President Mike Nutter said of the 2009 squad that won a franchise-record 94 regular-season games. “It was a historic season that started a run of seven straight playoff appearances. I’m very proud of the players’ hard work, and it’s great to see their abilities and perseverance rewarded.”
The previous high for MLB players produced from a Class A team was 16. That was a mark shared by the 2003 Lansing Lugnuts of the Midwest League, as well as the 1956 Augusta Tigers and 1963 Knoxville Smokies of the South Atlantic League.
In all, since 1993, 144 former Fort Wayne Wizards and TinCaps have gone on to play in the majors.
2009 TinCaps Who Have Reached the Majors (MLB Debut)
- RHP Mat Latos July 19, 2009 – San Diego Padres
- OF Blake Tekotte May 5, 2011 – San Diego Padres
- RHP Anthony Bass June 13, 2011 – San Diego Padres
- INF James Darnell August 9, 2011 – San Diego Padres
- INF Andy Parrino August 26, 2011 – San Diego Padres
- RHP Brad Brach August 31, 2011 – San Diego Padres
- C Ali Solis September 26, 2012 – San Diego Padres
- RHP Erik Davis June 2, 2013 – Washington Nationals
- OF Jaff Decker June 20, 2013 – San Diego Padres
- RHP Simon Castro July 5, 2013 – Chicago White Sox
- LHP Colt Hynes July 14, 2013 – San Diego Padres
- INF Dean Anna April 4, 2014 – New York Yankees
- INF Vince Belnome July 3, 2014 – Tampa Bay Rays
- OF Daniel Robertson May 2, 2014 – Texas Rangers
- INF Cole Figueroa May 16, 2014 – Tampa Bay Rays
- LHP Nick Greenwood June 16, 2014 – St. Louis Cardinals
- INF Matt Clark September 2, 2014 – Milwaukee Brewers
- INF Allan Dykstra April 8, 2015 – Tampa Bay Rays
- INF Cody Decker September 14, 2015 – San Diego Padres
2009 TinCaps Manager Doug Dascenzo is currently the Chicago Cubs Minor League Outfield & Baserunning Coordinator