News release from the American Red Cross:
Give one last gift this holiday season with a blood donation
(December 3, 2014) â€” The American Red Cross encourages eligible blood donors to give one last gift this holiday season and discover the true meaning of giving by donating blood.
Busy holiday schedules and seasonal illnesses, like the flu, can often mean fewer donors giving blood. But for patients with cancer or other illnesses or injuries requiring blood transfusions, the need for blood is constant and doesn’t get a holiday break. The gift of a blood donation only takes about an hour and can give patients a chance to celebrate more holidays to come.
To encourage donations and show appreciation, all those who attempt to donate blood Dec. 24 through Jan. 4, 2015, will receive a long-sleeve Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.
Eligible donors with all blood types are needed, especially those with type O negative, A negative or B negative. To learn more about donating blood and to schedule an appointment, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities
- Saturday, Dec. 20 from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., Adams Memorial Hospital, 1100 Mercer Ave. in Decatur.
- Monday, Dec. 29 from 2 p.m. – 8 p.m., Lehman Park Pavilion, 667 Lehman St in Berne.
- Thursday, Dec. 18 from 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Dupont Hospital, 2520 East Dupont Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, Dec. 18 from 11 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., Monroeville EMS, 103 S. Water Street in Monroeville.
- Friday, Dec. 19 from 6 a.m. – 12 p.m., The Perfect Gift, Lutheran Hospital, 7950 West Jefferson in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., The Perfect Gift, Lutheran Hospital, 7950 West Jefferson in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 1 p.m. – 7 p.m., St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, 10700 Aboite Center Rd in Fort Wayne.
- Friday, Dec. 26 from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m., Good Shepherd UMC, 4700 Vance Avenue in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Dec. 29 from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Bethesda Lutheran Communities, 3948 New Vision Drive in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Dec. 30 from 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Kohls Apple Glen, 1410 Apple Glen Blvd in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Dec. 30 from 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Partners 1st Federal Credit Union, 1314 Minnich Road in New Haven.
- Wednesday, Dec. 17 from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., American Legion Butler, 118 North Broadway in Butler.
- Wednesday, Dec. 24 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Heimach Senior Activity Center, 1800 E. Seventh St, in Auburn.
- Tuesday, Dec. 23 from 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Judy A. Morrill Recreation Center, 1200 E. Houston Street in Garrett.
- Tuesday, Dec. 30 from 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., American Legion Garrett, 515 W. 5th Ave. in Garrett.
- Thursday, Dec. 18 from 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., UAW Local 2209 Union Hall, 5820 E CR 900 North in Roanoke.
- Saturday, Dec. 20 from 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., YMCA, 1160 W 500 N in Huntington.
- Sunday, Dec. 28 from 7:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., SS Peter and Paul Catholic Church/School, 860 Cherry St in Huntington.
- Tuesday, Dec. 16 from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Maple Grove Church, 806 S. Main St. in Topeka.
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., Miller’s Merry Manor, 787 N Detroit Street in LaGrange.
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 8 a.m. – 2 p.m., E & S Sales, 1265 N State Road 5 in Shipshewana.
- Friday, Dec. 26 from 12 p.m. – 4 p.m., Parkview LaGrange Hospital, 207 N. Townline Rd in LaGrange.
- Friday, Dec. 19 from 7:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Parkview Noble Hospital, 401 Sawyer Rd in Kendallville.
- Monday, Dec. 29 from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m., Kendallville Public Library, 221 S Park Avenue in Kendallville.
- Monday, Dec. 29 from 2 p.m. – 7 p.m., Grace Christian Church, 126 E. Mitchell Street in Kendallville.
- Wednesday, Dec. 17 from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Sonlight Community Church, 455 N Gerald Lett Ave. in Angola
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Bluffton Regional Medical Center, 303 South Main St. in Bluffton.
- Monday, Dec. 22 from 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Church of Christ, 455 E. Morse St. in Markle.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
*2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.