News release from the American Red Cross:
Give thanks by giving blood through the Red Cross this holiday season
Blood Donation Opportunities – Nov. 16 – 30
(November 4, 2014) – The American Red Cross asks eligible donors to make an appointment to give blood to help ensure sufficient blood supplies are available for patients this holiday season.
Blood donations often decline during the holidays when donors get busy with travel and family gatherings, but the need for blood remains steady. Someone in the U.S. needs blood every two seconds.
Eligible donors with all types are needed, especially those with O negative, A negative and B negative. To learn more about donating blood and to schedule an appointment, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
As extra encouragement to donate blood during the busiest time of November for many people, presenting blood donors from Nov. 26 through Nov. 30 will receive a limited-edition Red Cross potholder stuffed with unique celebrity chef recipes, while supplies last. Thanksgiving recipes are courtesy of Mario Batali, Rocco DiSpirito, Alex Guarnaschelli and Mike Isabella.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- 11/25/2014: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., South Adams Senior Center, 825 Hendrick St. in Berne.
- 11/16/2014: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., St. Therese Catholic Church, 2304 Lower Huntington Road in Fort Wayne.
- 11/18/2014: 9 a.m. – 3 p.m., Science Building – Indiana Purdue University, 2101 E Coliseum Blvd in Fort Wayne.
- 11/20/2014: 12:45 p.m. – 3:45 p.m., Kingston Residence of Fort Wayne, 7515 Winchester Road in Fort Wayne.
- 11/22/2014: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., Covenant United Methodist Church, 10001 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne.
- 11/23/2014: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Suburban Bethlehem Lutheran Church, 6813 W. California Road in Fort Wayne.
- 11/24/2014: 9:30 a.m. – 3 p.m., Indiana Tech, 1600 E. Washington Blvd in Fort Wayne.
- 11/25/2014: 7:30 a.m. – 12 p.m., First Source Bank Building, 200 East Main Street in Fort Wayne.
- 11/25/2014: 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Remax Results, 8101 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne.
- 11/25/2014: 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Cummins Crosspoint, 3415 West Coliseum Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- 11/26/2014: 7:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Wells Fargo Bank Wayne Street, 111 East Wayne Street in Fort Wayne.
- 11/20/2014: 2 p.m. – 6 p.m., Knight-Bergman Center, 132 S. Nancy St. in Warren.
- 11/26/2014: 8 a.m. – 10:30 a.m., Norwood Health and Rehabilitation Center, 3720 N Norwood Road in Huntington.
- 11/26/2014: 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m., Miller’s Merry Manor, 1500 Grant Street in Huntington.
- 11/28/2014: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Parkview Huntington Hospital, 2001 Stults Rd in Huntington.
- 11/24/2014: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., LaGrange First United Methodist Church, 209 W. Spring Street in LaGrange.
- 11/28/2014: 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., Blue Gate Garden Inn, 800 S. Van Buren Street in Shipshewana.
- 11/29/2014: 8 a.m. – 12 p.m., South Milford Church of Christ, 8030 E 600 S in Wolcottville.
- 11/30/2014: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Destiny Family of Faith, 848 N. Lima Road in Kendallville.
- 11/28/2014: 3 p.m. – 7 p.m., Family Video, 211 North Wayne Street in Angola.
- 11/17/2014: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, 215 East Dustman Rd. in Bluffton.
- 11/23/2014: 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Calvary Lutheran Church, 1532 N Main Street in Bluffton.
- 11/30/2014: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m., Life Church, 428 South Oak Street in Bluffton.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- (Closed Thursday, Nov. 27th for Thanksgiving)
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
(Closed Thursday, Nov. 27th for Thanksgiving) *2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.