News release from CANI:
CANI Head Start announces lunch program
(August 12, 2014) – CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) today announced its sponsorship of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and its policy for providing free lunches at no separate charge to children in the Head Start preschool program.
Meals are available to all enrolled participants, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability at all CANI Head Start locations.
- Hanna-Creighton – 2107 S. Hanna St.
- East Wayne Street Center – 825 Francis Street
- Salvation Army – 2901 N. Clinton St.
- Temple Achduth Vesholom – 5200 Old Mill Road
- St. Henry’s – 3029 E. Paulding Road
- Lutheran Life Villages – 351 N. Allen Chapel Road, Kendallville
- United Methodist Church – 466 Townline Road, Ligonier
- Columbia City Head Start – 1340 Governor’s Road, Columbia City
Children who are members of TANF assistance units or whose families receive food stamps are automatically eligible to receive free meal benefits.
This program, administered by the United States Department of Agriculture and the Indiana Department of Education, Division of School and Community Nutrition Programs, gives financial assistance to child care centers so that nutritious meals can be integrated with nonresidential child care services for children. The goal of the program is to improve the diets of young children and increase the opportunity for children to eat a variety of nutritious foods.
CANI Head Start is a free, comprehensive development program. It meets educational, health, nutritional, and social service needs of low-income preschool children, ages 3 to 5, and their families in Allen, Noble, and Whitley counties.
For more information, families can call the CANI Head Start Administrative Office at (260) 420-2833.
USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.