News release from IPFW:
Prizes Announced for IPFW Cardboard Regatta Presented by Kelly Box & Packaging and ROCK104
(May 22, 2013) – Over 15 awards and $1,400 in cash prizes will be awarded at Fort Wayne’s first cardboard boat race! The Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) Cardboard Regatta presented by Kelly Box & Packaging and ROCK 104 sets sail on its maiden voyage Saturday, June 22, during IPFW’s RiverFest 2013.
The challenge of the regatta is to design, build, and race a human-powered, 100-percent corrugated cardboard boat on a course on the St. Joseph River. Boat registration fees begin at $25 and range from 1- to 10-passenger vessels, with the first 45 pre-registered vessels receiving free cardboard from Kelly Box & Packaging.
Cash prizes include:
- $500 – Overall First Place
- $250 – Overall Second Place
- $125 – Overall Third Place
- $75 – Overall Fourth Place
- $50 – Overall Fifth Place
$400+ in cash prizes for caption award winners, including:
- People’s Choice, with voting in person and online
- Mastodon Pride for most spirited IPFW-theme vessel
- ROCK Awesome Award for best use of the ROCK104 logo and rock ‘n’ roll theme
- Titanic Award for the most spectacular sinking
A “Build-On-Site” category will also be offered the day of the regatta, allowing racers two hours to build a 1- to 2-person cardboard boat using only the items supplied. Pre-register or register day-of to participate in the “Build-On-Site” category. Construction will begin at 10:30 a.m.
Additional sponsors of the IPFW Cardboard Regatta are Diskey Architectural Signage, IPFW RiverFest, PHP, and the Northeast Chapter of the Indiana University Alumni Association.
For more information and a full listing of the awards, go to ipfw.edu/alumni or call 260-481-6807.