News release from the Allen County Highway Department:
Allen County Highway Condition Update: 8:30 a.m.
(April 19, 2013) – The Allen County Highway Department reports the following road conditions caused by high water:
CLOSED TO THROUGH TRAFFIC:
- Â Homestead Rd. between Ernst Rd. & US 24
- Aboite Ctr. Rd. at W. Hamilton Rd.
- Parrot Rd. between Hartzell Rd. & Riverhaven
- Ellison Rd. between Liberty Mills Rd & Branstrator Rd.
- Branstrator Rd. between Lwr. Huntington Rd. & Yohne Rd.
- Wallen Rd. between Huguenard Rd. & Han Auer Rd.
- Vandolah Rd.
- Tonkel Rd.
- Carroll Rd. west of Hand Rd.
- Bass Rd. west of Hadley Rd.
OPEN BUT WITH HIGH WATER WARNING SIGNS:
- Ferguson Rd. between Thiele Rd. & Winchester Rd.
- Monroeville Rd. near Trentman Rd.
- W. Hamilton Rd. between Bass Rd. & SR 14
- Ferguson Rd. between Bluffton Rd. & Thiele Rd.
- High Water – Eggeman Rd.
The highway department reminds motorists that if they encounter a flooded roadway, be sure to “Turn Around, Don’t Drown.” According to the National Weather Service, most flash flooding deaths are vehicle related. Six inches of standing water is enough to cause passenger cars to stall and a foot of water will float many vehicles. Motorists should never drive through flooded roadways, especially if the water is moving rapidly, and never drive around the barriers warning you that the road is flooded.