Press release from the DNR:
Take part in a bird count this winter
Birding enthusiasts and those interested in learning can participate in one of the annual Christmas bird counts at selected DNR properties, now through Jan. 5.
Most of the counts are sponsored by the National Audubon Society (https://www.audubon.org/) now in its 111th year of running the program.
The activity is open to experienced birders and newcomers. It’s a great way to meet other birders and improve birding skills.
Participating DNR properties include:
- Dec. 18 – Indiana Dunes (contact Brad at 219-926-1390 or)
- Dec. 18 – Monroe Lake (contact Jim at 812-988-1671 or)
- Dec. 18 – Pigeon River (contact Gary at 260-493-7058)
- Dec. 19 – Atterbury (contact Mike at 317-682-8884 or)
- Dec. 19 – Spring Mill (contact John at 812-849-4586 or)
- Dec. 19 – Whitewater Memorial (contact Jim at 765-962-1902 or)
- Dec. 21 – Patoka Lake (contact John at 812 849-4586 or)
- Dec. 27 – Turkey Run (contact Alan at 765-562-2741 or)
- Dec. 28 – Pokagon (contact Fred at 260-833-2012 or)
- Jan. 1 – Clifty Falls (contact Dick at 812-273-0609 or)
- Jan. 1 – Roush Lake (contact Ellen at 260-758-3233 or)
- Jan. 1 – Willow Slough (contact Ed at)
- Jan. 2 – McCormick’s Creek (contact Sandy or Jeff at 812-825-8353 or)
Here is the full list of locations (https://www.indianaaudubon.org/) participating in the state and for more information on the individual properties.