Press release from CANI:
CANI Head Start announces lunch program
(August 23, 2010) – CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) today announced its sponsorship of the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP) and its policy for providing free and reduced lunches at no separate charge to children in the Head Start preschool program.
Free and reduced-price meals will be provided to participants meeting the approved eligibility criteria available upon request. Meals are available to all enrolled participants, without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability at all CANI Head Start locations.
In Fort Wayne:
- Hanna-Creighton – 2107 S. Hanna St.
- Grace St. John’s – 4120 S Webster St.
- Ivy Tech Community College – 4900 St. Joe Road
- Salvation Army – 2901 N. Clinton St.
- Temple Achduth Vesholom – 5200 Old Mill Road
- St. Henry’s Community Center (formerly Southeast YMCA) – 2929 Paulding Road.
In Noble County:
- First Presbyterian Church – 201 S. State St. in Kendallville
- United Methodist Church – 466 Townline Road.in Ligonier
In Whitley County:
- Marshall Community Center – 107 N Walnut St.. in Columbia City
Children who are members of TANF assistance units or whose families receive food stamps are automatically eligible to receive free meal benefits.
This program, administered by the United States Department of Agriculture and the Indiana Department of Education, Division of School and Community Nutrition Programs, gives financial assistance to child care centers so that nutritious meals can be integrated with nonresidential child care services for children. The goal of the program is to improve the diets of young children and increase the opportunity for children to eat a variety of nutritious foods.
CANI Head Start is a free, comprehensive development program. It meets educational, health, nutritional, and social service needs of low-income preschool children, ages 3 to5, and their families in Allen, Noble, and Whitley counties.
For more information, families can call the CANI Head Start Administrative Office at (260) 420-2833.