Press release from Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation:
Harambee Festival and Parade
(August 4, 2010) – Bring the family and join the fun for the 17th Annual Harambee Festival at Weisser Park (Hanna and Drexel Streets) Saturday, August 7th. The festival starts with a parade from Pontiac Street to Hanna Street at 10 am. The theme of the parade this year is “Neighborhoods Celebrate Harambee” and the following neighborhood representatives are serving as Grand Marshals:
- Maye Johnson, Allen County Council
- Cherise Dixie, Southeast/Northeast Area Advocate
- Nancy Chamberlin, Fort Wayne Police Department Deputy Chief Southeast
- Welton Dufor, East Central Neighborhood President
- Anthony Ridley, Renaissance Pointe Neighborhood President
- William Crowley, Southeast Area Partnership Chairperson
- Waymon Brown, Greater McMillen Neighborhood President
- Pat Turner, LaRez Neighborhood President
After the parade, from noon – 7 pm, the FREE festivities will continue in Weisser Park. Family-friendly activities include a basketball tournament, storytelling, music, poetry and dramatic skits. Children can also have their faces painted and try to win a prize in the ring toss, duck pond, candy wheel or fish pond. Vendors will be on site selling food.
The word “harambee” means pulling together and the festival is held every year to inform, educate and entertain the community.
The Harambee Festival is sponsored by the Harambee Festival Committee and the Fort Wayne Parks & Recreation Department.