Press release from the Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department:
H1N1 nasal spray vaccine available at Carew clinic Thursday while supplies last
The Fort Wayne-Allen County Department of Health will be offering H1N1 nasal spray vaccine at its Carew Medical Park clinic Thursday.
The clinic will be open from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. while supplies last. The vaccine is free. Children under age 18 need to be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
More H1N1 flu vaccine, both nasal spray and injectable vaccine, arrived today. The injectable vaccine will be given to local healthcare providers to vaccinate their staff and high risk patients and the nasal spray vaccine will be reserved for the public vaccination clinic.
The nasal spray vaccine is available for healthy children and young adults 2 to 24 years of age and for people who live with or provide care to infants less than 6 months of age including nursing mothers. A person cannot receive this vaccine if he or she has asthma or other chronic health condition or is sick with nasal congestion. No one older than 49 years of age can receive this vaccine. Pregnant women cannot get this vaccine.
Anyone experiencing symptoms of influenza should stay home and contact a health care provider. People can also stop the spread of flu by covering their cough and washing their hands.
For more information, go to www.FightTheFlu.org call 2-1-1.
Vaccines available at the Carew Medical Park clinic
H1N1 FluMist vaccine (nasal spray)
- For healthy children and young adults 2 to 24 years of age who do not have underlying health conditions such as asthma or diabetes
- For persons up to age 49 who live with or provide care for infants less than six months of age, including nursing mothers (e.g., parents, siblings, and daycare providers)
- No child younger than 2 years of age can get this vaccine
- No adult older than 49 can get this vaccine
- Pregnant women cannot get this vaccine
- Children under the age of 10 will need two doses of the H1N1 vaccine, four weeks apart, to be fully protected
- If a person has had any live vaccine such as the MMR, Varicella (chickenpox) or the seasonal flu mist vaccine in the last 28 days, the child cannot receive the H1N1 FluMist vaccine
Be a Flu Fighter!
Stay home from work, school, and errands when you are sick
Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
Wash your hands often with soap and water especially after you cough or sneeze
Go to www.FightTheFlu.org