Allen County Department of Environmental Management news release:
Allen County Sustainability Superhero Awards announced
Following a tradition started nearly thirty years ago, Allen County Commissioners will recognize members of the community that have contributed to improving our environment in the past year.
Nominations were accepted from the public to find individuals, organizations, and businesses that demonstrate exceptional leadership in conserving natural resources. The winners have gone the extra mile to reduce, reuse, recycle, or compost and to spread the word about why doing so is beneficial to everyone.
Winners of the 2020 Sustainability Superhero Awards will be presented at the Commissioners’ Legislative Session at 10:00am on December 11. The session may be viewed live on the “Allen County INfo” Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/AllenCounty in lieu of in-person recognition this year.
This year’s winners are:
- Connolly’s Do It Best- expanded battery recycling efforts with ACDEM’s “Stop the Spark” outreach program.
- Ground Down Composting- for diverting thousands of pounds of organic material from the landfill and teaching all residents about the environmental benefits of composting.
- Hop River- the first ever business certified by the Plastic Free Restaurant organization, pledging to eliminate all single-use plastic.
- Eco Fest- held the first festival in Allen County devoted to promoting environmental stewardship.
- Cyndi Adamson- volunteered to deliver thousands of excess meals to food relief agencies that would have been thrown away otherwise.
The Allen County Department of Environmental Management and County Commissioners celebrate the winners of these awards each year as a thank you to those who contribute to environmental sustainability. This year especially, the connection between the health of the environment and our own is apparent. We are happy to recognize these efforts for their contributions to a thriving community.