News release from Aging & In-Home Services:
AIHS announces changes in services due to COVID-19 pandemic
Asks community to support health and well-being of at-risk older adults
(March 18, 2020) – Aging & In-Home Services (AIHS) is working closely with the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (FSSA) and local Public Health Departments to monitor the ongoing Coronavirus pandemic, COVID-19, occurring in Indiana and around the world. We are working diligently to best serve our clients and their family caregivers in our response to this evolving public health crisis.
AIHS recognizes the populations we serve, specifically older adults and those with chronic medical conditions like diabetes, heart disease and lung disease, are at increased risk. In order to follow the recommendations regarding prevention and mitigation, AIHS has made the following adjustment to services:
- Aging & Disability Resource Center is expanding its staffing to enhance our response capability to answer questions and secure assistance for older adults, individuals with disabilities and family caregivers effective immediately. JUST CALL US at 260-745-1200.
- Dining in Congregate Settings is suspended through April 10. Participants in this program are being supplied with shelf-stable meals to take home.
- Meals on Wheels/Home-Delivered Meal deliveries will continue with some schedule modifications through April 10. AIHS is enhancing deliveries to include both frozen and shelf-stable meals to ensure optimal nutritional support for home-bound individuals.
- Restaurant Voucher Program has temporarily lifted the restrictions on take-out meals and is allowing for carryout indefinitely. Additional updates will be given once available.
- Chronic Disease Self-Management and Enhance Fitness classes are indefinitely canceled. Additional updates will be given once available.
- Options Counseling & Case Management is being provided telephonically to ensure access to qualified benefits and needed services continues through this national emergency.
- Health Coaches have been added to provide weekly wellness checks and medical care coordination for at-risk populations. AIHS has added “health coach” weekly contacts for most at-risk clients to support and report health.
AIHS is also asking the community to assist in identifying older adults who are at-risk but may not be aware of AIHS’ services. If you or someone you know is in need of assistance, just call us: 260-745-1200.
About Aging & In-Home Services of Northeast Indiana, Inc.
Aging & In-Home Services of Northeast Indiana, Inc. (AIHS), a federal and state designated Area Agency on Aging (AAA) and Aging & Disability Resource Center (ADRC), is a non-profit community-based organization with a mission to promote dignity, independence, and advocacy for older adults, persons with disabilities and their caregivers. AIHS has gained national recognition as a community leader transforming the traditional social services model into an integrated care model which bridges health care, behavioral health and community services to better serve vulnerable, at-risk populations.