On January 8, 2019, current Allen County Councilwoman Sharon Tucker (D) announced her candidacy for the Fort Wayne City Council’s 6th District in the upcoming May Democratic Primary.
Tucker is introduced by Glynn Hines (D) who has announced his retirement and currently holds the seat.
In his opening remarks, he talked about continuing the legacy of earlier African-American 6th District councilmen as begun by earlier African-American council members going back to John Nuckols, Charles Redd, Cletus Edmonds, and Archie Lunsey.
Top three priorities Tucker talked about during her speech: infrastructure, safety, economic development.
The second video of Tucker’s media availability. Questions asked included:
- Summary of what was announced
- Why switch from the County Council to the City Council
- Filling Glynn Hines’s shoes
- What does it mean to have his endorsement?
- Being the first woman to serve the 6th District
- Top priority?
- Taking the place of an African-American Councilman as an African-American Councilwoman