Game recap from the TinCaps:
TinCaps Muscle by Bowling Green
Fort Wayne Hits Four Homers in 9-2 Route
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (June 25, 2016) – With four home runs â€” their most in a game since 2014 â€” the TinCaps beat the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays), 9-2, on Saturday night at Bowling Green Ballpark.
Center fielder Jhonatan PeÃ±a gave Fort Wayne (3-0, 39-34) a 3-0 lead in the top of the second inning with a three-run homer â€” his third consecutive game with a long ball. PeÃ±a plated first baseman Ty France and right fielder Alan Garcia, who had doubled and singled in front of him off Bowling Green (0-3, 37-35) starter Blake Bivens (L, 3-2).
The TinCaps added an unearned run in the fourth to expand their lead to 4-0. Fort Wayne starter Austin Smith yielded only a run with two outs in the fourth.
After the Hot Rods cut it to 4-2 with another run in the fifth, the TinCaps stretched the lead back to three runs at 5-2 in the top of the seventh on a solo home run by third baseman Kodie Tidwell.
The visitors poured it on in the ninth with four more runs as designated hitter Marcus Greene, Jr. belted a solo shot, second baseman Peter Van Gansen ripped an RBI triple, and catcher Austin Allen catapulted a two-run homer.
Elliot Morris (W, 1-0) followed Smith with three innings of relief. Gerardo Reyes (S, 5) pitched a scoreless eighth and ninth.
- Tidwell extended his on-base streak to 31 games. It’s the longest active streak in all of the Minors and Majors. It’s also now the longest streak in the Midwest League this year.
- PeÃ±a became the first TinCap to homer in three consecutive games since Alberth Martinez did April 29-May 1, 2013.
- The last time the TinCaps hit four home runs in a game was Aug. 20, 2014.
- The road team is now 10-0 in the season series between the TinCaps and the Hot Rods. Fort Wayne is 6-0 at Bowling Green.
- The TinCaps have hit nine home runs over the last three games.
- Sunday, June 26 @ Bowling Green, 5:05 p.m. EST
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Jacob Nix
- Hot Rods Probable Starter: LHP Genesis Cabrera
- Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM / TinCapsRadio.com / TuneIn Radio app
Related game links: