News release from the City of Fort Wayne:
Mayor Henry Announces More Buyouts
Grant Aids Homes Flooded Last Summer
(April 13, 2016) – Today, Mayor Tom Henry moved forward on an agreement with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to secure a home buyout grant to purchase eight properties damaged by last June’s floods.
This grant is part of the pre-mitigation program which funds purchases when residents have told the City of Fort Wayne that they want to be bought out after experiencing repeated flood damage. The homes on the list were pre-identified and submitted as part of the application. City staff worked to pre-identify homes that suffered flood damage last summer along the Fairfield Ditch and the St. Marys River.
“I continue to be encouraged by the progress we’re making in securing funding to help residents with flood buyouts,” said Mayor Henry. “We’re committed to protecting neighborhoods and enhancing the quality of life in our community. Our collective efforts are making a meaningful difference.”
At its regular meeting this morning, the Board of Public Works approved the grant agreement totaling $600,450with 25% coming from local funds and the rest from FEMA. The City of Fort Wayne will fund $119,112 and the Maumee River Basin Commission will provide $31,000.
The properties identified have agreed to an appraisal in this voluntary program. If they agree to the purchase price the home will be purchased, demolished and turned into greenspace.
Earlier this year, Mayor Henry announced a similar grant to purchase up to 18 homes in flood-prone areas of the City. Those voluntary buyouts are processing and the property owners will soon be in homes located out of the flood area.
Information about the home buyout program is available on the web at cityoffortwayne.org/floodbuyouts.
Residents can email questions to FortWayneFloodBuyout@cityoffortwayne.org or call 311.