News release from Catalyst Fitness:
Local fitness expert explains how to avoid injury at the gym
(March 18, 2016) â€” It can be easy to get hurt at the gym, especially if you’re new to working out. Jason Minich, owner of Catalyst Fitness, explains how to avoid injury by following these best practices:
- Know your body: Be mindful of your own limitations. For example, if you know you have knee problems you don’t want to use a stepper, run on a treadmill, or do leg presses, all of which can exacerbate issues. Instead, you might consider a low-impact machine, like a stationary bike or even an elliptical machine.
- Work out with a pro: A trained professional can help ensure you aren’t doing the wrong workouts for your body type and help you moderate your routines so you don’t do too much, too soon. He or she will know what’s appropriate for you in terms of exercises, weights, and rest periods. A balanced program will allow muscles to heal properly, which in turn helps avoid some of the more common injuries.
- Build a warm-up period into your session: Whatever type of activity, you’re less likely to get injured if you warm up before every session and slowly build the pace of your workout over time.
- Mix it up: Vary your workouts to avoid over-use of muscle groups. For example, you might try running on a treadmill one day and lifting weights the next.
- Know what to eat and drink. Not only will carbohydrates give you energy for your workout, they will replenish those glycogen stores for your recovery and for the next workout. Protein after your workout is critical for muscle recovery. A trainer can help you determine what foods you should be eating to keep you healthy and energized for your workouts.
About Catalyst Fitness
Catalyst Fitness was founded in 2006 by local fitness professional Jason Minich and has grown to be the company that many Fort Wayne area residents have come to rely upon to help them change their lives for the better. Jason was voted by a panel of industry peers in 2009 as a Top 10 Trainer of the Year in North America. Catalyst Fitness now has two Fort Wayne area fitness centers, boasts the largest team of fitness professionals in Fort Wayne, and serves companies all over northern Indiana with its workplace wellness programming.