News release from the History Center:
30th Festival of Gingerbread Begins November 27th
(November 16, 2015) – For 30 years the History Center’s Festival of Gingerbread has grown to include over 100 creations designed and made by entrants from the lower elementary grades to professional culinary artists who vie to win prizes in the multiple levels of entries.
The festival, which raises money to support programs at the History Center, has become a holiday tradition that boasts an attendance of more than 12,000 visitors who come annually to see the fanciful gingerbread creations on display.
A special preview party will be held on November 24. Reservations are $25 per person and can be made by calling Steve Toor, Events Coordinator, at 260.426.2882 ext 308.
During Downtown Fort Wayne’s Lighting Night on November 25, visitors can get a sneak peek at gingerbread creations from 3 to 9 pm. At 5:15 pm that evening the History Center’s turret will be lit with special holiday colors of red and green.
The complete schedule for the 30th Festival of Gingerbread is as follows:
- 24: Festival of Gingerbread Preview Gala, 5:30-7:30pm: $25 per person
- 25: Downtown Lighting Night, 3-9pm: $3 per person, Santa will also be present beginning at 5pm!
- 27: Festival of Gingerbread Opening Day
- 28: Legend of the Gingerbread Ornament, 1-3pm: $1 plus regular museum admission
- 29: Handprint Reindeer Puppet, 1-3pm: $1 plus regular museum admission
- 1: Free Night, 5-9pm: Sponsored by AEP Indiana-Michigan Power
- 5: Santa Claus at the History Center, 1-3pm
- 6: Storytelling, 1-3pm: Presented by United Way’s Real Men Read & Women United
- 12: Gingerbread Pursuit, 8:30am: For more information or to register, go to veepraces.com
- 12: Science of Sugary Structures, 1-4pm: Sponsored by PNC Bank & presented by Science Central, $3 plus regular museum admission
- 13: Cookie Decorating Party, 1-4pm: $1 each plus regular museum admission
- 13: Festival of Gingerbread Final Day
Stay current on these events by visiting the History Center’s Facebook page or website www.fwhistorycenter.com.
Hours during the Festival of Gingerbread are:
- Monday – Thursday: 9am – 5pm
- Friday & Saturday: 9am – 8pm
- Sunday: 12 – 5pm.
The History Center will be closed Thanksgiving Day.
Admission is $6 adults, $4 seniors and youth, and free to children age 2 and under. There is no extra charge for special activities or events unless indicated. School or private groups can receive a discounted rate by scheduling in advance. Call Barb Ehinger, Education Coordinator, at 260.426.2882 x309.
The History Center is located at 302 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana. For more information, visit www.fwhistorycenter.com, or call 260.426.2882.