News release from INDOT:
INDOT Prepares for Snow, Ice with Pre-Winter Inspections
All INDOT trucks will be inspected by late October
(October 15, 2015) – Indiana Department of Transportation crews began preparing for the winter months with pre-winter inspections this week. By the end of October, INDOT inspectors will have travelled to each of the Fort Wayne District’s 14 units to perform the annual inspection of snow and ice equipment.
During the inspections, INDOT’s yellow trucks undergo a full bumper-to-bumper examination and inspectors look for mechanical defects in need of repair. Special attention is paid to the trucks’ steering, engine and brakes. Any problems are noted and will be addressed by INDOT mechanics prior to the first snow or ice event.
A video of inspections at the Fort Wayne Unit
The preventative maintenance is an important way INDOT prepares for the winter months. Plow drivers also take part in mandatory snow and ice training each year, and most are already familiarizing themselves with their snow routes. INDOT Fort Wayne District is responsible for 140 snow routes in 17 counties in Northeast Indiana, maintaining 4,799 lane miles of roadway, 525 lane miles of interstate and 742 state bridges.
Additional inspections are planned at the following locations:
- Warsaw Unit – Friday, Oct. 16
- Laud Unit – Friday, Oct. 16
- Elkhart Unit – Monday, Oct. 19
- Shipshewana Unit – Monday, Oct. 19
- Angola Unit – Thursday, Oct. 22
- Waterloo Unit – Thursday, Oct. 22
- Brimfield Unit – Thursday, Oct. 22
- Monroe Unit – Friday, Oct. 23
- New Haven Unit – Friday, Oct. 23
- Gas City Unit – Monday, Oct. 26
- Bluffton Unit – Monday, Oct. 26