News release from the Fort Wayne Curling Club:
Fort Wayne Curling Club announces 2015-2016 season
(September 10, 2015) – The Fort Wayne Curling Club is proud to announce its 2015-2016 season. Located at 3674 N. Wells St in the Wells Street Commerce Center in Fort Wayne, the Fort Wayne Curling Club is the only facility dedicated solely to the sport of curling in the state of Indiana and for 150 miles in any direction.
Learn to Curl Sessions – The Fort Wayne Curling Club will be hosting a multitude of “Learn to Curl” sessions this season. Learn to Curl sessions cost $20 per person and are an excellent introduction to the sport of curling. They feature 30 minutes of off-ice instruction followed by 2 full hours on the ice. The first 45 minutes on the ice are focused on teaching the techniques of delivering the stone and sweeping. The remainder of the on-ice time is gameplay against other new curlers. You can reserve your spot for an upcoming Learn to Curl session on the club’s website www.FortWayneCurling.com.
Learn to Curls are scheduled for the following dates:
- Sunday, September 20, 2015
- Monday, September 21, 2015
- Wednesday, September 23, 2015
- Wednesday October 7. 2015
- Sunday, October 25, 2015
- Wednesday, November 4, 2015
- Sunday, November 8, 2015
- Wednesday, December 2, 2015
- Sunday, December 20, 2015
- Wednesday, January 6, 2016
- Sunday, January 24, 2016
- Wednesday, February 3, 2016
- Sunday, February 14, 2016
- Wednesday, March 2, 2016
- Sunday, March 20, 2016
- Wednesday, April 6, 2016
Bonspiels – The Fort Wayne Curling Club will be hosting 4 tournaments (bonspiels, in curling parlance) this upcoming season. Each will feature between 18-24 teams of four players each from throughout the United States and Canada. The tournaments are:
- The Fort Wayne End of Summerspiel – Friday 9/25/2015 through Sunday 9/27/2015
- Mad Anthony Men’s Bonspiel – Friday 11/13/15 through Sunday 11/15/15
- Summit City Open – Friday 3/11/16 through Sunday 3/13/16
- The Stone Cold Beauties Women’s Bonspiel – Friday, April 15, 2016 through Sunday, April 17, 2016
Challenge Cups – The Fort Wayne Curling Club will be participating in and hosting a number of Challenge Cups against other curling clubs in the region. These events pit club against club for bragging rights and possession of a trophy. The Challenge Cups include:
- Battle of the Black Swamp vs. Bowling Green Curling Club – Saturday 11/21/15
- Hoosier Cup vs. Circle City Curling Club (Indianapolis) – Saturday 1/30/16
- The I-69 Cup vs. Lansing Curling Club – Date TBD
Corporate/Private Events – The Fort Wayne Curling Club hosts a variety of corporate and private events which include social & curling activities. Call the club to schedule your next teambuilding exercise, Christmas party or other event.
Members Assembly – The Fort Wayne Curling Club will be hosting the annual assembly for the National Governing Body of the sport of curling, USA Curling, from Thursday, October 15, 2015 through Sunday, October 18, 2015. The Members Assembly will feature a variety of seminars and meetings regarding growing the sport of curling (hosted at the downtown Hilton Hotel) and a number of activities hosted at the Fort Wayne Curling Club as well.
Special Needs/Wheelchair Curling – Through a generous grant, the Fort Wayne Curling Club is offering curling for individuals with both physical and intellectual disabilities. Our goal is to establish a wheelchair curling league and a separate league for individuals with disabilities to play the sport of curling alongside their parents, siblings or friends. There are few opportunities for the families and friends to play sports competitively alongside the individuals with intellectual disabilities that they love. We aim to solve that problem and are working, long-term, towards making curling a Special Olympics sport in the United States.
The following introductory sessions will be held with leagues to following in October, November and December:
- Saturday, Sept. 19, 1 pm (special needs focused)
- Sunday, Sept. 20, 1 pm (wheelchair focused)
- Sunday, Oct. 4, 1 pm (special needs focused)
- Sunday, Oct. 25, 1 pm (special needs focused)
Curling in Fort Wayne is brought to you through the continued loyal support of our members and our generous sponsors:
- Crosby Construction
- Jerri L. Mead, P.C.
- Anchor Films
- Visit Fort Wayne
- LanCon Electrical Contractors
- Paint the Town Graphics
- M.S. Concrete & Remodeling
- Mancino’s Pizza & Subs
- Source One Insurance
- Culligan Water
- Steve’s Curling Supplies
- AdlerJ Salon & Spa
- Five Star Distributing
Contact the Fort Wayne Curling club via phone at 260-739-5182 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow us on Facebook “Fort Wayne Curling Club” and Twitter @FWCurling.