FWPD: In Custody Death Investigation


FWPD logo


News release from the Fort Wayne Police Department:

In Custody Death Investigation

Date: Thursday, June 25, 2015

Time: 11:04 a.m. (Time of Traffic Stop)

Location: 8200 Block Bridgeway Drive

Deceased: Male Adult
Critical: Female Adult


Fort Wayne Police and Indiana State Police are presently involved in a joint investigation that deals with the death of a subject that was transported from Police Headquarters to a local hospital where he later died.

At approximately 10:43 a.m. this morning detectives with the Fort Wayne Vice and Narcotics unit along with the department’s EST team (Emergency Services Team) executed an arrest warrant at a residence in the 3500 block of Oliver Street.

The intended target of the warrant was not found at the residence and in fact no one was found to be in the home during the execution of the arrest warrant. It was later learned that the person of interest was at a location in 8600 block Lakeside Drive.

Detectives set up surveillance and a short time later observed the person of interest, the female, and a male, the deceased, enter a vehicle and drive off. Detectives conducted a traffic stop on the target vehicle in the 8200 block of Bridgeway Drive.

Detectives during the initial stop observed what they believed to be both individuals ingesting narcotics. Once the two suspects were removed from their vehicle detectives did notice what they believed to be narcotics being spit out by the male.

A short time after the traffic stop the female advised detectives that she was not feeling well and an ambulance was immediately summoned to the scene. Once on scene both the male and the female were evaluated by medics. The male refused treatment but the female was transported to a local hospital where she has been determined to be in critical condition by attending physicians.

The male was transported by detectives to the police station for interview. Shortly after arriving the male was observed to be in distress and a medic’s were immediately summoned. Prior to medic’s arrival the male went into cardiac arrest and police personnel administered CPR until such time they were relieved by both fire and medic personnel that arrived to render immediate medical aid. The male was transported to a local hospital where he was pronounced deceased by doctors shortly after arriving.

The five detectives associated with this incident have been placed on paid administrative leave.

This incident remains under investigation by the Fort Wayne Police Department, the Indiana State Police, the Allen County Coroner’s office and the Allen County Prosecutor’s office.


Related Images:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here