News release from the City of Fort Wayne:
City of Fort Wayne: 8:45 pm Flood Update
(June 18, 2015) – The St. Marys River continues to rise and is not expected to crest until 8:00 p.m. tomorrow at 19.9 feet. City staff will work through the night to continue flood flighting efforts.
This evening, volunteers are continuing to sandbag in the Belle Vista Neighborhood and the 2600 block Freeman.
Today, Friday, June 19th, beginning at 9:00 a.m. we are asking for volunteers to fill sandbags at the City of Fort Wayne Street Dept, 1701 S Lafayette Street.Â Football teams from Wayne High School and Bishop Dwenger High School will also be assisting in our sandbagging efforts.
Yesterday, more than 300 volunteers helped by sandbagging at five locations and filling bags at the Street Department. Area residents, families and groups turned out to sandbag at three different neighborhood locations. Approximately 130 volunteers helped between the locations today.
Groups that participated:
- Boy Scouts form Syracuse, Indiana
- Air National Guard
- University of St. Francis Football Team
- Community Corrections
- City staff members from: Parks, Community Development, Fire, Police, Public Works, City Utilities.
- Bishop Luers High School football players (grades 8-12)
Recent street closures include:
- Intersection of Covington Road and Fillmore Street
- Intersection of Taylor Street and Fillmore Street
Earlier announced closures include:
- Tillman Road – From Lower Huntington to Calhoun Street
- Fairfield Avenue – From Southfair Court to Lower Huntington
- North River Road – From Maysville Road to Landin Road
- Hanauer Road – From Cook Road to Wallen Road
- Winchester Road – From Shamrock to Airport Expressway
- Berry Street – From Thieme Dr to College Street
- Geneva – From Henrietta St to Elyetta St
- Smith Road – Covington Road to Engle Rd
- Freeman Street – Portage Blvd to Covington Rd
- Taylor Street – Freeman Street to Brooklyn Avenue
- Belle Vista Neighborhood streets