News release from the American Red Cross:
Help neighbors through the Red Cross and become an everyday hero
(March 2, 2015) – The American Red Cross encourages eligible blood donors to become everyday heroes by giving blood in celebration of Red Cross Month this March.
Since 1943, every president has designated March as Red Cross Month – a time to recognize those who support the Red Cross. Local communities depend on the Red Cross, which relies on donations of time, money and blood to fulfill its humanitarian mission.
It doesn’t take a cape or superpowers to be a hero. By donating blood, eligible donors can help save the lives of patients in need. Those who are unable to give blood can support blood donations by organizing a blood drive, volunteering to assist with Red Cross activities, or creating a SleevesUp virtual blood drive online at https://sleevesup.redcrossblood.org/ and asking others to make a lifesaving donation.
To make an appointment to give blood, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities
- 3/17/2015: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., South Adams Senior Center, 825 Hendrick St. in Berne.
- 3/18/2015: 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., North Campus – Student Life Building, 4900 St. Joe Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 3/18/2015: 3:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., New Haven Middle School, 900 Prospect Ave. in New Haven.
- 3/19/2015: 1 p.m. – 4 p.m., Northern Indiana Public Service Company, 1501 Hale St. in Fort Wayne.
- 3/25/2015: 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Reimbold & Anderson, 5750 Coventry Lane, Suite 110 in Fort Wayne.
- 3/26/2015: 8 a.m. – 11 a.m., Brown Mackie College, 3000 East Coliseum Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- 3/26/2015: 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Northeast Indiana Innovation Center, 3201 Stellhorn Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 3/31/2015: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., Parkview Hospital, 2200 Randallia in Fort Wayne.
- 3/31/2015: 1 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., Wal-mart, 5311 Coldwater Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- 3/27/2015: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Parkview Huntington Hospital, 2001 Stults Rd. in Huntington.
- 3/28/2015: 7 a.m. – 11 a.m., Dillman Church, 8888 South 1100 W 90 in Warren.
- 3/16/2015: 12 p.m. – 6 p.m., LaGrange First United Methodist Church, 209 W. Spring St. in LaGrange.
- 3/27/2015: 12 p.m. – 5 p.m., Asbury United Methodist Church, 605 East Main St. in Albion.
- 3/28/2015: 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., Jansen Family Dentistry, 230 S. Main St. in Kendallville.
- 3/19/2015: 2:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m., Hamilton High School, 903 S. Wayne St. in Hamilton.
- 3/26/2015: 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., Churubusco United Methodist Church, 750 North Main in Churubusco.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
*2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.