News release from the University of Saint Francis:
USF Offering Chance to Participate in MLK Day Activities
Public can be a part of the University of Saint Francis’ “A Day On, Not a Day Off” to celebrate Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday.
(January 7, 2015) – While many schools and businesses in the area are taking the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King’s birthday off as a holiday, University of Saint Francis students, faculty and staff will take a different approach. USF’s tribute to Dr. King through “A Day On, Not a Day Off” and a roundtable conversation later in the week will provide opportunities for all to learn more about this great man’s life and times, and to serve at campus activities and at local agencies in the community. The community is invited to join the university for the following events:
MONDAY, JANUARY 19, 2015
- 9:30 a.m. – 10 a.m. – Hot beverages in North Campus foyer
- 10 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – “Connecting With the Dream: Call to Service” (North Campus Auditorium)
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – “Everyone Has a Story – A Campus Conversation on the Life of Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.” (North Campus Auditorium)
- 11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. – Lunch at North Campus building (registration required by Wednesday, Jan. 14)
- 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. – Service Projects on and off campus (registration required):
- Linus Blanket Making – (USF North Campus Gym)
- Laundry Soap Making for Community Harvest Food Bank (USF Campus Ministry building)
- Warm Fuzzies – learning to crochet or knit warm outwear for children in need (USF North Campus Gym)
- Local volunteer opportunities: Mustard Seed Furniture Bank, Associated Churches Food Bank, St. Vincent de Paul Thrift Store, Science Central, YWCA of Northeast Indiana, The Community Center
THURSDAY, JANUARY 22, 2015
- 12 p.m. – 12:50 p.m. – Roundtable Presentation “Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: Man of Faith and Action” (Brookside Ballroom)
The Mountaintop – The School of Creative Arts at the University of Saint Francis presents The Mountaintop. A gripping reimagination of events the night before the assassination of the civil rights leader Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (North Campus Auditorium; tickets required)
For more information and links to register and buy tickets, visit https://www.sf.edu/mlkday.
About the University of Saint Francis
The University of Saint Francis is celebrating its 125th anniversary in 2015. Founded in 1890 as a comprehensive university in the Catholic Franciscan tradition, USF offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs through the School of Health Sciences, School of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Keith Busse School of Business and Entrepreneurial Leadership and School of Creative Arts. In addition to its traditional programs, the university designs focused curriculum for working adults in Fort Wayne, Crown Point on online. Currently 2,300 students from a broad geographic region attend USF for its academic excellence.