News release from the Crawford for City Council At-Large campaign:
Crawford announces re-election bid
At-Large member to seek fifth term on City Council
(January 9, 2015) – John Crawford, City Council president and member at-large, announced this morning at Republican Headquarters that he will seek re-election for a fifth term. Crawford is Medical Director of Radiation Oncology Services at Parkview Regional Oncology Center.
First elected to City Council in 1995, Crawford served three terms, ending in 2007. In 2011 he was elected to a fourth term, which will end in 2015.
“If Fort Wayne voters put their trust in me for a fifth term, I will continue being a conscientious fiscal steward of city resources,” said Crawford. “My primary focus remains reducing the role of government in citizens’ lives and keeping taxes and regulations to a minimum.”
Accomplishments Crawford cited during his tenure on City Council included:
- Supporting a strong fiscal policy plan for Fort Wayne, including adequate funding for street repair, public safety and parks.
- Allocating wisely the city’s Legacy Fund monies.
- Securing a competitive bidding process for professional services.
- Focusing on quality-of-life and quality-of-place issues, especially as they relate to job creation and economic development. These issues include riverfront development, downtown improvement, parks, trails and public safety.
- Helping to pass Fort Wayne’s smoking ordinance, one of the most comprehensive in the nation, following empirical evidence from the U.S. Surgeon General’s office.