News release from the American Red Cross:
Resolve to give blood in January for National Blood Donor Month
(December 15, 2014) – The American Red Cross asks eligible blood donors to make a resolution to give blood regularly in 2015, beginning with National Blood Donor Month in January.
National Blood Donor Month recognizes the importance of giving blood and platelets while honoring those who roll up a sleeve to help patients in need. It has been observed during January since 1970, and that’s no coincidence. Winter is an especially difficult time to collect enough blood to meet patient needs. Unpredictable winter weather can result in blood drive cancellations, and seasonal illnesses, like the flu, may cause some donors to be unable to make or keep blood donation appointments.
Donors of all blood types are needed, especially those with O negative, A negative and B negative. With a shelf life of 42 days, red blood cells must be constantly replenished to maintain an adequate supply for patients. Individuals who come out to give blood Jan. 1 through Jan. 4 will receive a long-sleeve Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.
To learn more about donating blood and to schedule an appointment, download the Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities
- Monday, Jan. 5 from 11:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. at Riverside Center, 231 East Monroe St. in Decatur.
- Sunday, Jan. 11 from 8 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at St. Mary Catholic Church, 414 Madison St. in Decatur.
- Sunday, Jan. 4 from 10 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, 2213 Brooklyn Ave. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Jan. 6 from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Precious Blood Catholic Church, 1515 Barthold St. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Jan. 6 from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Third Place, 1601 West Cedar Canyon Rd. in Huntertown.
- Saturday, Jan. 10 from 12 p.m. until 4 p.m. at Costco, 5110 Value Dr. in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, Jan. 11 from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. at First Wayne Street United Methodist Church, 300 East Wayne St. in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, Jan. 12 from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Grabill Missionary Church, 13637 State St. in Grabill.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at International Business College, 5699 Coventry Lane in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 from 12:45 p.m. until 3:15 p.m. at Fort Wayne Nissan, 4909 Lima Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, Jan. 6 from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at First United Methodist Church, 1203 East 7th St. in Auburn.
- Wednesday, Jan. 7 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Wal-Mart, 505 Touring Dr. in Auburn.
- Saturday, Jan. 3 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Cafe of Hope, 900 East State St. in Huntington.
- Monday, Jan. 5 from 1 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Evangelical United Methodist Church, 1000 Flaxmill Rd. in Huntington.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 from 8:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at Pathfinder Services, 1152 E. State St. in Huntington.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Knight-Bergman Center, 132 S. Nancy St. in Warren.
- Friday, Jan. 2 from 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Shore Mennonite Church, 7235 W. U.S. 20 in Shipshewana.
- Friday, Jan. 2 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Faith United Methodist Church, 411 Harding St. in Kendallville.
- Friday, Jan. 2 from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Park & Recreation Center, 520 W. Union St. in Ligonier.
- Wednesday, Jan. 7 from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Helmer United Methodist Church, 7530 S SR 327 in Helmer.
- Thursday, Jan. 8 from 1 p.m. until 5:30 p.m. at American Legion Post 423, 6215 S.R. 327 in Orland.
- Friday, Jan. 9 from 1:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at Fremont Community Church, 601 N. Coldwater St. in Fremont.
- Monday, Jan. 12 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Fairview Missionary Church, 525 E 200 N in Angola.
- Thursday, Jan. 15 from 12:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. at Hamilton United Methodist Church, 7780 South Wayne St. in Hamilton.
- Monday, Jan. 12 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at First Presbyterian Church, 215 East Dustman Rd. in Bluffton.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
- *2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.