News release from the American Red Cross:
Donate blood with the American Red Cross in support of organ transplant and other patients
October is Liver Awareness Month
(September 18, 2014) – The American Red Cross encourages eligible donors to give blood during Liver Awareness Month this October.
According to the American Liver Foundation, more than 6,000 liver transplants are performed each year in the U.S., making it the second most common transplant. Liver transplant patients may require in excess of 30 pints of blood during surgery. Volunteer donors are the only source of blood for those in need of transfusions during surgery.
Donors with all blood types are currently needed, especially those with types O negative, A negative and B negative. All those who attempt to donate blood during October will be eligible to win a $5,000 Visa gift card, courtesy of Suburban Propane.
To make an appointment to donate blood, eligible donors are encouraged to download the new Red Cross Blood Donor App from app stores or text BLOODAPP to 90999 to receive a download link, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767). More information on liver disease and ways to help protect against liver disease is available at https://liverfoundation.org/.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Friday, October 3, 2014 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at Adams Memorial Hospital, 1100 Mercer Avenue in Decatur
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014 from 1 p.m. until 4 p.m. at Arden Companies, 3510 Piper Drive in Fort Wayne.
- Wednesday, October 1, 2014 from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Triple Crown Services, 2720 Dupont Commerce Court, Suite 200 in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, October 2, 2014 from 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Perry Pro Tech, 134 E Collins Road in Fort Wayne.
- Friday, October 3, 2014 from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Mill Supplies Inc., 5105 Industrial Rd. in Fort Wayne.
- Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Sears, 4201 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, October 5, 2014 from 8 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Blackhawk Ministries, 7400 E State Blvd. in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, October 6, 2014 from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Christian Community Center of Harlan, 12616 Spencerville Road in Harlan.
- Saturday, October 11, 2014 from 4 p.m. – 8 p.m. Headwaters Park, 330 South Clinton in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, October 13, 2014 from 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Dupont Hospital, 2520 East Dupont Road in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, October 14, 2014 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at Parkview Hospital, 2200 Randallia in Fort Wayne.
- Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 4 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Classic City Center, 3375 County Road 427 in Waterloo.
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at First United Methodist Church, 1203 East 7th St. in Auburn.
- Thursday, October 9, 2014 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Wal-mart, 505 Touring Dr in Auburn.
- Monday, October 6, 2014 from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Evangelical United Methodist Church, 1000 Flaxmill Road in Huntington.
- Wednesday, October 15, 2014 from 2:15 p.m. until 6:15 p.m. at Lincoln Elementary School, 2037 E Taylor Street in Huntington.
- Wednesday, October 15, 2014 from 12 p.m. until 4 p.m. at United Technologies, 3650 West 200 North in Huntington.
- Wednesday, October 15, 2014 from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at American Legion, 1122 N Main Street in Roanoke.
- Saturday, October 4, 2014 from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. at Prince of Peace Lutheran Church, 10275 E 550 S in Stroh.
- Tuesday, October 7, 2014 from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. at KZ-RV, 0985 N 900 W in Shipshewana.
- Tuesday, October 14, 2014 from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m. at LaGrange First Church of God, 777 N. Detroit St. in LaGrange.
- Friday, October 10, 2014 from 12 p.m. until 5 p.m. at Asbury United Methodist Church, 605 East Main St. in Albion.
- Monday, October 13, 2014 from 12 p.m. until 6 p.m. at St. Anthony’s Catholic Church, 700 West Maumee Street in Angola.
- Thursday, October 2, 2014 from 1 p.m. until 6 p.m. at Faith Lutheran Church, 9251 E SR 205 in Churubusco.
The Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
The Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
- Monday and Tuesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: closed
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
*2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross Blood Donor App, visit redcross.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card or driver’s license or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental consent in some states), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
About the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org.