News release from the TinCaps:
2009 TinCaps Set Class A Record
17 Players from ’09 Team Have Made the Major Leagues
(September 11, 2014) â€” It was nearly five years ago when the 2009 TinCaps team made franchise history. On September 17, 2009, Fort Wayne beat Burlington for its first and only Midwest League Championship. Now, the ’09 TinCaps have entered the record books again.
From that 2009 title team, 17 players have played in the major leagues. According to Sports-Reference.com President Sean Forman, that’s the largest number of players from a Class A team to go on and reach the big leagues.
“That was a special team to have in Parkview Field’s first season,” TinCaps President Mike Nutter said. “And it remains special to see the success so many from that championship team have gone on to have after their time with us in Fort Wayne.”
The 17th 2009 TinCaps player to make the show was first baseman Matt Clark, who debuted with the Milwaukee Brewers last week and hit his first MLB home run on Wednesday night.
The previous high for MLB players produced from a Class A team was 16. That was a mark shared by the 2003 Lansing Lugnuts of the Midwest League, as well as the 1956 Augusta Tigers and 1963 Knoxville Smokies of the South Atlantic League.
In all, since 1993, 131 former Fort Wayne Wizards and TinCaps have gone on to play in the majors.
2009 TinCaps Who Have Reached the Majors (MLB Debut / Current Team)
- RHP Mat Latos July 19, 2009 – San Diego Padres / Cincinnati Reds
- OF Blake Tekotte May 5, 2011 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Reno (Diamondbacks)
- RHP Anthony Bass June 13, 2011 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Oklahoma City (Astros)
- INF James Darnell August 9, 2011 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Durham (Rays)
- INF Andy Parrino August 26, 2011 – San Diego Padres / Oakland Athletics
- RHP Brad Brach August 31, 2011 – San Diego Padres / Baltimore Orioles
- C Ali Solis September 26, 2012 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Durham (Rays)
- RHP Erik Davis June 2, 2013 – Washington Nationals / Nationals disabled list
- OF Jaff Decker June 20, 2013 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Indianapolis (Pirates)
- RHP Simon Castro July 5, 2013 – Chicago White Sox / Triple-A Colorado Springs (Rockies)
- LHP Colt Hynes July 14, 2013 – San Diego Padres / Triple-A Buffalo (Blue Jays)
- INF Dean Anna April 4, 2014 – New York Yankees / Triple-A Indianapolis (Pirates)
- INF Vince Belnome July 3, 2014 – Tampa Bay Rays / Triple-A Durham (Rays)
- OF Daniel Robertson May 2, 2014 – Texas Rangers / Rangers
- INF Cole Figueroa May 16, 2014 – Tampa Bay Rays / Triple-A Durham (Rays)
- LHP Nick Greenwood June 16, 2014 – St. Louis Cardinals / Cardinals
- INF Matt Clark September 2, 2014 – Milwaukee Brewers / Brewers
- 2009 TinCaps Manager Doug Dascenzo is currently the third base coach for the Atlanta Braves.