News release from the TinCaps:
Playoffs and Records Within Sight for TinCaps
As Season Draws to Close, Three Games Remain on Schedule at Parkview Field
(August 27, 2014) – With three regular season games remaining at Parkview Field, the TinCaps remain alive in the Eastern Division playoff race and have a chance to set multiple franchise records. Fort Wayne opens its final home series of the season tonight at 7:05 p.m. against the West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers).
“There’s a reason why our fans have won awards for being the best in Minor League Baseball,” TinCaps President Mike Nutter said. “Hopefully they can help get us over the top down the stretch and into the postseason. Along the way, we’ve got a shot to set some records and have three of our best promotional nights of the entire season.”
The TinCaps enter play on Wednesday just 2.0 games behind the Dayton Dragons for the Eastern Division Wild Card. The Dragons have lost four of their last six contests.
Not only could big crowds in Downtown Fort Wayne help the TinCaps stretch the Midwest League’s longest active playoff-appearance streak to six years, they could also result in a new Parkview Field attendance record.
Through their first 67 home games this season, the TinCaps have drawn 388,362 fans. Parkview Field’s regular season attendance record is 404,932 (2010). With an average of 5,524 fans for the team’s final three games, the TinCaps would set a new regular season attendance mark.
So far this year, Fort Wayne’s average attendance has been 5,796, which is the third highest in all of Class A. In 2014, the TinCaps also have outdrawn 26 of 30 Double-A teams and 12 of 30 Triple-A clubs.
“It’s been an absolute blast playing at Parkview Field this season,” said infielder and Norwell High School alum Josh VanMeter. “The crowds have been amazing. I hope we can get a few more big ones to close the regular season out and then get back here for the playoffs.”
See below for the promotional schedule for the final three regular season games at Parkivew Field, plus other on-field records the TinCaps have set or have a chance to reach.
Wednesday, August 27, 7:05 p.m. vs. West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers)
- Bobblehead Giveaway presented by Source One Solutions: 2012 TinCap Matt Wisler
- Webkinz Giveaway (Lemur) for Apple Corps Kids Club Members
- Women’s Night Out (Margarita Edition) – Must Register in Advance
- Celebrate Adoption Night
- Marathon Fill-Up Day (Redeem Your Fill-Up Card for a “Buy One, Get One Free” Ticket Offer)
Thursday, August 28, 7:05 p.m. vs. West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers)
- Postgame Fireworks presented by Indiana Tech
- Fort Wayne Fire Department 175th Anniversary Night
- Fort Wayne Fire Department TinCaps Jersey Auction
- Thirsty Thursdayâ„¢ ($1.00 domestic draft beer & other drink specials)
Friday, August 29, 7:05 p.m. vs. West Michigan Whitecaps (Detroit Tigers)
- Postgame Fireworks presented by Sweetwater
- BIG FUN Fan Appreciation Night
- BIG FUN Jersey Giveaway
- Community Organization of the Game presented by Carson’s: East Wayne Street Center
FRANCHISE HOME RUN RECORD
- On Tuesday night, the TinCaps set a new franchise record for home runs in a season with 98. The record was set on a grand slam hit by Nick Schulz. Fort Wayne’s previous high for homers in a season was 97 in 2009, when the TinCaps won the MWL title.
INDIVIDUAL RBI RECORD
- TinCaps infielder Fernando Perez tied the franchise RBI record of 91 on Tuesday night. Perez tied current San Diego Padres outfielder Will Venable, who had 91 RBIs with the Wizards in 2006.
INDIVIDUAL HOME RUN RECORD
- Fernando Perez tied the RBI record on Tuesday with a two-run homer – his 17th of the season. That’s the most ever by a TinCaps player, breaking Jaff Decker’s total of 16 in 2009. The Fort Wayne franchise record for longballs in a season is 20 (Jake Patterson, 1997).