News release from the Fort Wayne Alzheimer’s Association:
Walk to End Alzheimer’s – Fort Wayne
Saturday, September 20th
(August 6, 2014) – Join the Alzheimer’s Association of Greater Indiana-Fort Wayne office on Saturday, September 20 at Headwaters Park to Walk to End Alzheimer’s.
Registration for the walk will begin at Noon, Opening Ceremonies at 1 pm and the walk will step off at 1:30 pm from Headwaters Park. We hope to have over 1,500 walkers and raise over $215,000 to support programs for individuals and families dealing with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s and for research to treat and prevent the disease. You can register for the event by visiting www.alz.org or calling for more information.
Facts & Figures about Alzheimer’s:
- Alzheimer’s is the 6th leading cause of death in the United States
- More than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer’s disease
- 1 in 3 seniors dies with Alzheimer’s or related dementia
- In 2012, 15.4 million caregivers provided more than 17.5 billion hours of unpaid care valued at $216 billion
- In 2013, the direct costs of caring for those with Alzheimer’s to the American society totaled an estimated $203 billion. That number is expected to rise to $1.2 trillion by 2050
For more information on this event or the Walk to End Alzheimer’s, contact Julie at 800-272-3900 or.