News release from the Fort Wayne Police Department:
(May 23, 2014) – The Fort Wayne Police Department has responded to several armed robberies involving items listed for purchase or sale on Craigslist. In each instance at least one of the subjects was armed with a handgun. There have been (9) reported incidents in the last 5-months all of which occurred at varying times of the day and at various locations throughout the city.
These robberies are often referred to as “Robbery by Appointment.” In each of the instances, persons responded to Craigslist ads advertising the sale of items such as cell phones and Xbox game consoles. Citizens are urged to use caution when conducting transactions from websites such as Craigslist.
The police department recommends the following precautions to minimize your chances of being a victim:
- Choose a well-lit public location to conduct the transaction.
- Conduct the transaction during the day time.
- Location to consider would be the police station lobby.
- Do your best to research the other party, check their cell phone number on-line, etc.
- Never meet someone at a private residence or apartment building parking lot.
- Always bring a friend with you.
If a party is not willing to meet you at the police station or other public location, it should be a red flag and we would urge you to reconsider participating in this transaction.
Fort Wayne Police investigators are interested in any additional information that you may have about these crimes. Contact Crime Stoppers at 436-STOP (436-7867).