News release from Trinity Episcopal Church:
175th anniversary of the Episcopal Church in Fort Wayne
(May 4, 2014) – Episcopalians in Fort Wayne will celebrate the 175th anniversary of the first Episcopal congregation in the city on May 10 at 2 p.m. in the garden area in front of Trinity Episcopal Church, 611 West Berry.
The Rt. Rev. Edward S. Little, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Northern Indiana, will lead worship, assisted by The Rev. Dr. Thomas P. Hansen, Trinity’s rector; The Rev. Kathy Thomas, rector of Grace Episcopal Church; and The Rev. Daniel Layden, rector of St. Alban’s Episcopal Church.
Clergy will lead a procession down Berry Street from the Allen County Courthouse to Trinity and be joined by a combined choir from all three congregations. A readers’ theatre, written by John Beatty, diocesan archivist, will precede the church service. Special music will also be provided by the Fort Wayne Brass in memorial to Betty Thieme from Judge Phillip Thieme. An ice cream social will complete the festivities.
Christ Episcopal Church, Fort Wayne, was founded in May 1839 but disbanded after only a few months. The church did not have its own building but met in the Academy Building, also known as the Alexander McJunkin Schoolhouse, on Lafayette Street.
Trinity Episcopal Church was founded in May 1844 and the cornerstone of the present church was laid in April 1865, just weeks after Lincoln’s assassination. It was completed in September 1866 and has functioned as a church ever since.
St. Alban’s in northeast Fort Wayne and Grace, originally named St. Philip and St James and located in southwest Fort Wayne, were both begun as missions of Trinity Church and later became independent parishes.
A Facebook page has been established to cover Episcopal events happening in Fort Wayne and .