News release from Soarn’ Hawk Raptor Rehab:
Raptor Expo will feature live birds, hands-on activities for children
(April 16, 2014) – Soarin’ Hawk Raptor Rehab will host the 2nd Annual Raptor Expo from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. April 26 at Franke Park Pavilion No. 1 adjacent to the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo.
Admission is free; donations are accepted.
The event will feature live presentations of birds of prey, including Jefferson the Bald Eagle; Apollo the Great Horned Owl; Ruby the Red-Tailed Hawk; Mr. Peabody and Sherman, a Barred Owl and Short-Earred Owl; Peanut the Screech Owl; and other raptors. The presentations are tentatively scheduled for 12:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.
“This will be a great chance to see up close birds that play critical roles in northeast Indiana’s ecosystem,” said Soarin’ Hawk Board Member Barb Hathaway. “Beyond gracing our skies and fields with their majestic beauty, these birds are at the top of the food chain and are our environmental barometers. When raptors are not doing well, it is an indication that something is amiss in the environment.”
Among the other expo highlights:
- A presentation at 4:30 p.m. by award-winning 14-year-old Indiana conservationist AlexandraÂ Forsythe of Bippus.
- A contest to name a screech owl.
- A hands-on exhibit of raptors’ wings.
- A pellet dissection lab that will allow visitors to see what birds of prey eat.
- Projects for children.
- A silent auction of raptor-themed photographs and artwork.
- A chance to “adopt” raptors via donations.
- A book signing by Soarin’ Hawk volunteer Ann Zepke, who wrote “I Kissed an Owl – Not.”
- A chance to find out about volunteer opportunities at Soarin’ Hawk.
About Soarin’ Hawk Raptor Rehab
Soarin’ Hawk is an Allen County based nonprofit that rescues, rehabilitatesÂ and releases injured, ill or orphaned birds of prey in northeast Indiana. The organization also conducts numerousÂ educational presentations annually involving live raptors. Soarin’ Hawk’s chief mission is species and habitatÂ preservation. More information about Soarin’ Hawk can be found at https://www.soarinhawk.org/.