News release from the Fort Wayne City Utilities:
Recycling Holiday Refuse
(December 20, 2013) – Fort Wayne’s One-Cart Recycling program is ready to assist in with your holiday disposal needs.
Common holiday items such as plastics, aluminum cans, bottles, paper and cardboard gift boxes, greeting cards, and non-foil wrapping paper can all go into the recycling cart.
Holiday items not accepted in the recycling cart include: metallic-coated or foil wrapping paper, gift bags, ribbons, bows, beads, garland, tinsel, ornaments, lights, or bubble wrap.
If you fill your cart because of extra disposables you can place a cardboard box or another container with overflow items. The container should not weigh more than 40 pounds.
The City accepts the following recyclable items:
- Paper: Most types of clean paper (i.e. non-metallic party favors, cardboard, non-contaminated food boxes, magazines, envelopes, telephone directories, junk mail, calendars, stationery, paper bags, etc.). Food boxes that have food contamination should be disposed of in the garbage container.
- Plastics: Labeled #1 – #7 (i.e. beverage bottles; milk jugs; detergent bottles and jugs; plastic juice containers; condiment bottles and jars; shampoo and lotion bottles. Remove caps from containers, and lightly rinse any food or liquid residue from containers and trays before recycling.
- Aluminum tins and metal cans: Beverage cans, Steel, tin and aluminum food cans; and aluminum pie pans. Lightly rinse any food or liquid residue. There is no need to remove paper labels.
- Glass bottles and jars of all colors: Beverage bottles and jars, condiment jars, other food bottles and jars. Remove cap and lightly rinse prior to recycling, there is no need to remove paper labels.
Reminder: Holiday Collection Schedule
Garbage and recyclable collection will take place as normal on Christmas Eve, December 24, 2013 but there will be no collection on Christmas Day, Wednesday, December 25, 2013. Residents who normally receive collection on Tuesday will receive service on Thursday December 26.
The schedule will run one day behind through the rest of the week.
- Normal Thursday collection will be on Friday, December 27.
- Normal Friday Collection will be on Saturday, December 28.
Many times during the holiday season, residents are off from work and on a different schedule. To make sure the carts are out for their scheduled pick-up, Republic Services suggests residents should place carts out the night before the pick-up.
Download App for Updates and Reminders
RecycleFW is the new App available to residents from both the Apple Store for IPhone and Ipad users and at Google Play for Android users. The app will allow residents to send reminder notices to their phone and get updates about holiday schedules. More information.
Download the 2013 Holiday Recycling flyer