News release from the American Red Cross:
World Blood Donor Day June 14
A time to recognize and encourage blood donations
(May 21, 2013) – Each June 14th countries around the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day. This year marks the 10th anniversary of the campaign which is sponsored by the World Health Organization to raise awareness of the need for safe blood and to thank voluntary unpaid donors for their lifesaving gifts of blood.
“Blood transfusions help save millions of lives worldwide every year,” said Tracy Duncan Fox, Spokesperson for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “An adequate blood supply can be assured only through regular donations by voluntary unpaid blood donors. World Blood Donor Day offers a special opportunity to honor those who donate blood in our communities and encourage others to join them by donating blood through the American Red Cross.”
According to the World Health Organization, just 62 countries have blood supplies that are based on close to 100 percent voluntary unpaid blood donations and 40 countries still dependent on family donors and even paid donors. The organization’s goal is for all countries to obtain all their blood supplies from voluntary unpaid donors by 2020.
“On World Blood Day and every day someone in the U.S. needs blood every two seconds,” said Fox. “The generosity of America’s volunteer blood donors helps ensure that patients across the nation will have the blood they need, when they need it.”
UPCOMING AMERICAN RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES IN YOUR AREA:
- Sunday, June 2, from 8:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. at Queen of Angels Catholic Church & School in the School Gymnasium, located at 1500 W. State Blvd. in Fort Wayne. Come to donate and receive a cooler tote bag.
- Monday, June 3, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Sunrise Chapel in the lower level, located at 12732 Spencerville Road in Harlan.
- Tuesday, June 4, from 12:30 p.m. until 3 p.m. at Fire Police City County Federal Credit Union, located at 10123 Lima Road in Fort Wayne.
- Wednesday, June 5, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at St. Patrick Catholic Church , located at 12305 Arcola Road in Arcola. This blood drive is sponsored by St. Johns Lutheran Lake Twp.
- Friday, June 7, from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Mill Supplies, Inc., located at 5105 Industrial Road in Fort Wayne.
- Friday, June 7, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at St. Joe Place Apartments, located at 3310 Academic Place in Fort Wayne.
- Saturday, June 8, from 9:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at Summit Middle School at the Baseball Diamonds, located at 4509 Homestead Road in Fort Wayne. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
- Sunday, June 9, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Suburban Bethlehem Lutheran Church, located at 6813 W. California Road in Fort Wayne.
- Sunday, June 9, from 8 a.m. until 1 p.m. at St. Charles Catholic Church & School, located at 4910 Trier Road in Fort Wayne.
- Monday, June 10, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Tower Bank, located at 116 E. Berry St. in Fort Wayne.
- Tuesday, June 11, from 8:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. at Parkview Field in the Lincoln Financial Event Center, located at 1301 Ewing St. in Fort Wayne. Come to donate and receive a ticket to a TinCaps game.
- Wednesday, June 12, from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at the Edwin J. Rousseau Center, located at 1 E. Main St. in Fort Wayne.
- Wednesday, June 12, from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Citizens Square in the Omni Room, located at 200 E. Berry St. in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, June 13, from 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Dupont Hospital, located at 2520 E. Dupont Road in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, June 13, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Walmart Chapel Ridge, located at 10420 Maysville Road in Fort Wayne.
- Thursday, June 13, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at the YMCA Jorgenson, located at 10313 Aboite Center Road in Fort Wayne.
Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Traditional whole blood or double red cell donation:
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Saturday: 8 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Platelet pheresis donation (call 1-800-589-8127 or 260-480-8299 to schedule a platelet donation):
- Monday: 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital)
Traditional whole blood or platelet pheresis donation (no platelet pheresis on Wednesdays): **
- Monday through Wednesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon *
- *Â 2nd Thursday of the month: noon – 6 p.m.
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in Indiana and Ohio), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in 60 hospitals. The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation’s blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcrossblood.org.