News release from IPFW:
IPFW Students, Faculty, and Staff to Help with 2013 Black Barbershop Outreach in Fort Wayne
(April 11, 2013) – The Third Annual Black Barbershop Health Outreach Program takes place this Saturday, April 13, in ten Fort Wayne barbershops. The program began as a grassroots effort to bring health screenings and information to African American men in a place where they feel comfortableâ€”their local barbershops.
This year, Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne (IPFW) community/public health nursing students will be conducting free blood pressure, blood glucose, and cholesterol screenings and offering free information on prostate health at five of the participating barbershops. The screenings will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Barbershops taking part in the program: (IPFW students will be at those marked with *)
- Apage Kutz, 2309 Spy Run Ave.
- Unique Touch, 3416 Paulding Rd. *
- Optimistic’s, 3415 Warsaw St. *
- Jesse & Sons, 1401 S. Hanna St. *
- King’s Barbershop, 1716 E. Pontiac St.
- Jerrell’s Barbershop, 2104 S. Clinton St. *
- Unity Barbershop, 921 E. Pontiac St.
- Turn-N-Headz, 4234 Calhoun St.
- Precision Cuts, 7504 S. Anthony St.
- Qnic Cuts, 3205 Paulding Rd. *