News release from the City of Fort Wayne:
Free Homebuyer Education Class Scheduled for Spanish-Speaking Residents
The City’s Office of Housing and Neighborhood Services is inviting Spanish-speaking residents to attend a free Homebuyer Education Class to learn about buying and maintaining a home.
The class will be conducted entirely in Spanish and held from 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, May 4 at the American Red Cross, 1212 E. California Rd. Anyone interested in taking the class should call (260) 427-8585 or 311.
The class uses the “Realizing the American Dream” curriculum developed by NeighborWorks America. Participants receive a Certificate of Training signed by a U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Certified Housing Counselor. The certificate may be used to apply for local homebuyer assistance programs, such as the City of Fort Wayne Down Payment Assistance program. Completion also allows individuals to enroll in the Bank On Fort Wayne program.
Topics covered in the curriculum include:
- Are you ready to buy a home – tools to help you make successful decisions
- Managing your money – Do you “really” manage your money?
- Understanding credit – the pros and cons – what you don’t know can hurt you
- Obtaining a mortgage loan – sample documents and situations
- Shopping for a home – where, when, and how
- Protecting your investment – probably the biggest purchase you’ll ever make
- Home maintenance – what to do and when
- Your housing and credit rights – laws that protect you
- Defining terms: LTV, FICO, DTI, Truth in Lending – what do these mean?
Homebuyer education classes offered in English are scheduled for April 13, May 15, and June 15. The curriculum is the same and anyone interested should register by calling (260) 427-8585 or 311.