A community calendar item from InterCultural Interpretation Services:
Interpreting agencies are starting to require interpreters to have formal training and usually will not hire interpreters unless they have a minimum of 40 hours of training.
There is a demand now in Northeast Indiana for interpreters in all the languages, especially Spanish and Burmese, and this kind of a course helps prepare people to work as contractors. Also, many bi-lingual employees are being asked to interpret informally in doctors offices and hospitals and getting a 40 hour certification is very beneficial for them as well (legal liability issues).
Application deadline is 3/27/2013.
What: Medical Interpreter Workshop
When: Friday, April 12, 2013 through Saturday, May 3, 2013 or September 13, 2013 through October 5, 2013
Why: Interpreting is quickly becoming one of the fastest growing professions in the U.S.
New Language Access laws make professional training and certification critical.
A 40-hour training course is considered by many agencies to be the minimum educational threshold for interpreting.
The Community Interpreters Workshop is the first and only national 40-hour certificate program in community interpreting.
Who should attend:
- Bilingual staff who interpret
- Community interpreters who work in hospital and health departments
- Interpreters in K-12 schools, law enforcement, and/or human and social services agencies.
- Those interested in an exciting new career!
The workshops include information on:
- The role of the interpreter and legal obligations of interpreters
- National ethics and standards of practice for interpreters
- Basic skills: modes of interpretation, pre-session and post- session preparation, introductions, positioning, register, strategies for intervention
- Interpreter certification
- Cultural Mediation
- Medical terminology
Please contact Lourdes Williams ator by calling (260) 413-0690 to register. Application deadline March 27, 2013
Trainer: L. Lourdes Williams, Certified Medical Interpreter, and Licensed Interpreter Trainer