An older press release from ARCH:
Downtown Design Awards, Architecture, and ARCHIE Awards Presented at Downtown Ceremony:
ARCH Identifies City’s Endangered Structures
(November 17, 2010) – ARCH, Inc., The Fort Wayne Chapter of the American Institute of Architects; and the Fort Wayne Downtown Improvement District presented their design and preservation awards at a combined Awards Celebration today, on the second floor of the One Summit Square (AEP) building in downtown Fort Wayne. ARCH also announced the annual list of our community’s Most Endangered Structures at the event.
Angie Quinn, Executive Director of ARCH, noted that “the preservation of our community treasures is accomplished building by building, project by project, through the efforts of individuals who see the value of good design. AIA and DID share these goals with ARCH.”
Brian Bohlender, a representative of the Fort Wayne AIA chapter, said: “AIA Fort Wayne is excited and proud to join ARCH and DID in celebrating both the historic and the recently completed works of architecture that make up the fabric of our community.”
Downtown Improvement District: The Fort Wayne Downtown Improvement District presented 2010 Excellence in Design awards in four categories. Rich Davis, DID President, noted that “While the 91-block downtown area represents a smaller universe of potential projects from which to select, the downtown also contains a disproportionate number of significant design achievements, both in terms of architecture and landscape as well as overall community image.”
The Fort Wayne Museum of Art, and the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Wayne Downtown both were recognized in the Architecture category. Morrison Kattman Menze, Inc. was the architect for the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, while Simeone Deary Design Group led the design team for the Courtyard by Marriott / Champions Sports Bar.
The new Visitors Center for Visit Fort Wayne, located in the Harrison Professional Center, was recognized for excellence in Interior Design; Grinsfelder Associates Architects and One Eleven Design comprised the architectural and design team. In the category of Landscape Design, the Calhoun Street Renovations from Washington Boulevard to Berry Street, along the with City of Fort Wayne’s team of planners, designers, and engineers, were recognized for their contribution to beautifying and enlivening the downtown streetscape. Finally, in the category of Facades, Signage, and Graphics, the History Center was praised for innovative lighting of its historic turret, with Summit City Electric providing the design and technical assistance.
AIA Fort Wayne: AIA Fort Wayne presented the following awards for excellence in design on November 17, 2010. Submissions were judged by a jury representing AIA Mississippi. Pictures are Included as separate attachments.
Citation Award: Ortho Northeast SurgeryONE Ambulatory Surgery Center
Project Architect: Morrison Kattman Menze, Inc.
Project Owner: Northeast Orthopaedics Clinic (Partnership)
This project successfully exhibits a calm richness of layering, a pleasing vocabulary of materials and varying surfaces to create a warm comfortable and timeless appeal. The building successfully provides a human scale, reinforced by the developed exterior people space. The use of warm traditional materials on the exterior successfully grounds the project in its place. Bringing those materials to the inside reinforces the sense of warmth. This building will age well. Natural light was successfully brought into the interior of the building helping overcome a relatively large and deep floor plate. The building does a good job of responding to its context, while successfully raising the bar of design. The architects are to be commended for their sustainability efforts and the pursuit of LEED certification.
Merit Award: Hanning & Bean Enterprises, Inc. Leased Office Building
Project Architect: Design Collaborative
Project Owner: Hanning & Bean Enterprises, Inc.
The layout, degree of light and clear circulation makes this building a very nice place to work. While it is an easy building to understand, its sophistication of detailing and careful coordination between building materials give it a subtle richness. The architect successfully pared down the structure to be clean, simple and straightforward. The architect was really looking out for the owner – giving them a well designed sustainable and efficient building with what appears to be a minimal budget.
Merit Award: St. John Chrysostom Antiochian Orthodox Church
Project Architect: SchenkelShultz Architecture
Project Owner: St. John Chrysostom Antiochian Orthodox Church
This church facility is an excellent manifestation of its mission. The design does a good job of clearly showing and honoring its purpose and the subtleties of its components. While the facility is traditional in its shape and materials, it exhibits a simple and contemporary exuberance. The consistency of detailing between exterior and interior is well done. Each portion of the project appropriately expresses its mission. While the Sanctuary energetically expresses its divine mission, the fellowship hall is appropriately subservient. The designer paid good attention to the proportion of the different elements and how they worked together. A good balance was achieved between the rich wood elements and the light ceiling and wall elements. The jury imagines that the congregation dearly loves this facility.
2010 ARCHIE Awards: ARCH has awarded outstanding restoration efforts annually since 1977 with the ARCHIE awards. Nominations for 2010 ARCHIE winners were accepted between August 15 and September 30, 2010. Eligible projects must be exterior efforts or visible to the public, have recently been completed, and must be located in Allen County, Indiana. This year, ARCH received thirty nominations from the public. The ARCH Board of Directors approved this year’s winners, proposed by the organization’s historic preservation committee.
Outstanding Preservation Award to John and Julia Oldenkamp for their efforts to preserve Foster Park, and the Pavilion #1. Through their generous support, The Parks department completed a restoration which included extensive restoration of exterior and roof, including the installation of missing trim details, and rebuilt the classical supporting columns.
Outstanding Restoration Award, Institutional Category, University of St. Francis for the restoration of the Bass Mansion, known as Brookside. Zach Benedict. described the project in his nomination: “The restoration of this 1903 Richardsonian Romanesque masterpiece required an exceptional level of expertiseâ€¦stone masonry, decorative painting, clay tile roofing, woodwork, art glass, light fixtures, floor coverings, and wall textiles…cost was $4.8Million.”
Leonard G. Murphy Award for Outstanding Commercial Restoration Nancy Schoenle, IntraScape, Inc., for the Spiegel Building at 1401 Broadway. The project was nominated by Don Orban, the Preservation Planner for the City of Fort Wayne. Don described the project in his nomination “…Commercial faÃ§ade grant project: Extensive brick repair and cleaning/paint removal, trim painting, new awnings, signage.”
Outstanding New Construction Award, St. Jude Catholic School, 2110 Pemberton Drive: The recent addition to the St. Jude School has earned a 2010 ARCHIE Award for outstanding new construction. The project’s nomination by Angie Chester noted that “â€¦St. Jude Catholic School added onto their building, providing handicap accessibility and front office space â€¦ they made a point of having the fancy brickwork be compatible to other brickwork on the building.”
Outstanding Restoration of a Single Family Home, Shank Brothers, for 4602 Lafayette Esplanade. The project was nominated by Don Orban, who described the project: “â€¦a c. 1925 Colonial Revival house suffering from extreme and long term lack of maintenance. Work included repair of exterior siding and trim, repair of brick porch, rehab and rebuilding of windows, paint, roofing, extensive landscape renovations, etc.”
Commendations were given to:
- Janet Bell, Knitting off Broadway, 1309 Broadway, commercial restoration
- Nancy Darling, 426 E. Wayne Street, single family home
- Fort Wayne Parks and Recreation, Foster Park Pavilion #1 and Lakeside Park Sunken Gardens
- Tom and Sonya Eggold, 915 Nelson Street, garage addition in historic district
- Josh and Paul Rang, Belay Corp. and Preston Allen Homes, 1909 Kensington, single family home, A HUD Neighborhood Stabilization Program rehabilitation.
ARCH Most Endangered Structures in Allen County, 2010
This listing includes prominent architectural treasures, local landmarks, and beloved spots in Allen County that are threatened by changing use, vacancy, deterioration, obsolescence, or nearby new development. ARCH announced a call for nominations for the 2010 List in August, and accepted such nominations until September 30.Â After reviewing the nominations and notifications to property owners, ARCH announced the following list at tonight’s awards ceremony:
- Merchant Huxford House (520 Tennessee Ave.)
- Brookview/Irvington Park historic district
- Fairfield-Nestel House (815 W. Creighton Ave.)
- Humpty-Dumpty sign/Decatur Rd. Scott’s cornucopia sign
- Historic resources on the Taylor University Fort Wayne campus
- South side of 800 block of W. Washington Blvd.
- Two county-owned Byron Health Center houses on the National Register
- Dawson’s Root Beer stand (S. Anthony Blvd.)
- S.F. Bowser building (Creighton St.)
- 1000 Block of Broadway
New Additions to the list:
- Log cabin on Decatur Rd.
- Parks Dept. historic resources – street tree canopy in historic neighborhoods and Foster Park pavilion #3 and other New Deal-era park structures
A complete description of each Endangered Structure is also available. Please call ARCH for more information.