Press release from the American Red Cross:
Start the New Year off right: donate blood
Many New Year’s resolutions focus on breaking bad habits. Why not take up a positive habit instead?
(December 16, 2010) – By resolving to donate blood or platelets in the coming year, you can help save the lives of the one out of 10 hospital patients who need blood for emergency or ongoing medical care. What’s more, your frequent donations through the American Red Cross can help keep the nation’s blood supply strong and ensure that blood is available anywhere and anytime it’s needed.
“A resolution to donate blood in the New Year works on so many levels,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “Your donation can make a difference to hospital patients, their family and friends, and the larger community. Your act of giving, too, can make you feel good about helping to save the day.”
When you donate through the Red Cross, you’ll join about 4 million blood donors nationwide in a lifesaving cause. Blood is used for the treatment of cancer patients, people with blood disorders, premature infants, transplant recipients, trauma victims and more. And while most of us will probably know someone in our lifetime who needs blood, just 38 percent of people are eligible to give.
“Blood donors help provide the gift of life for patients with serious medical needs,” said Whitman. “When you come to give blood, you’re performing a vital community service that only someone like you can do.”
Come to donate from Jan. 1 – 31 and be entered into a weekly region-wide drawing for a $250 Visa gift card! In addition, all donors from Dec. 20 through Jan. 31 will receive a coupon for a free donut from Dunkin’ Donuts.
UPCOMING AMERICAN RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES IN YOUR AREA:
- Wednesday, Jan. 5, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Precious Blood Catholic Church, located at 1515 Barthold St. in Fort Wayne. Please call 489-3977 to schedule your blood donation appointment. This blood drive is sponsored by the Knights of Columbus.
- Thursday, Jan. 6, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Coldwell Banker Roth Wehrly Graber, located at 5503 Coventry Lane in Fort Wayne. Please call 341-0380, ext. 8121 or 459-4541 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Friday, Jan. 7, from 8:30 a.m. until 11 a.m. at Walmart Chapel Ridge, located at 10420 Maysville Road in Fort Wayne.
- Saturday, Jan. 8, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at the United Methodist Church of the Covenant in the Meeting Room, located at 10001 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne. Please call 438-2801 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Sunday, Jan. 9, from 9 a.m. until 2 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, located at 2213 Brooklyn Ave. in Fort Wayne. Please call 432-1523 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Sunday, Jan. 9, from 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. at St. Therese Catholic Church, located at 2304 Lower Huntington Road in Fort Wayne. Please call 747-9139 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Monday, Jan. 10, from 2 p.m. until 8 p.m. at Grabill Missionary Church, located at 13637 State St. in Grabill.
- Monday, Jan. 10, from 2 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Emanuel Lutheran Church, located at 800 Green St. in New Haven.
- Wednesday, Jan. 12, from 7:30 a.m. until 11:30 a.m. at Wells Fargo Bank, located at 111 E. Wayne St. in Fort Wayne. Please call 424-9080, ext. 317 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Wednesday, Jan. 12, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at Dimension Ford North, located at 320 W. Coliseum Blvd. in Fort Wayne. Please call 434-4307 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Friday, Jan. 14, from noon until 5 p.m. at Monroeville EMS, located at 103 S. Water St. in Monroeville. Please call 417-5946 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Traditional whole blood or double red cell donation:
- Monday and Tuesday: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Wednesday and Thursday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Platelet pheresis donation (call 1-800-589-8127 or 260-480-8299 to schedule a platelet donation):
- Monday: 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thursday: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Friday: 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital) Traditional whole blood or platelet pheresis donation (no platelet pheresis on Wednesdays):
- Monday through Wednesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in more than 60 hospitals. In addition to providing blood to our community, the American Red Cross also provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.