Press release from The History Center:
History Center announces Festival of Gingerbread Winners & Schedule for 2010 Festivities
(November 21, 2010) – Winners of the 2010 Festival of Gingerbread competition have been announced by the History Center. Now in its 25th year, the Festival is a fund raiser for the History Center and draws over 10,000 people to downtown Fort Wayne to view the fanciful creations made by individuals and groups for each year’s Festival.
All ages and all levels of ability create the over 100 gingerbread houses that are judged and awarded prizes at the start of the Festival. Families, individuals, school, community and business groups, and professionals all are eligible to enter to win prizes in various categories.
This year’s winners, whose work will be on display November 26-December 12, at the History Center, 302 East Berry, Fort Wayne are:
Pre-K thru 2nd Individual
- 1st $50.00: Sydney Herbst
- 2nd $30.00: Leila Niblick
- 3rd $20.00: Lauren Bower
Pre-K thru 2nd Group
- 1st $100.00: Croninger Girl Scout Troop 20912 C
- 2nd $75.00: Croninger Girl Scout Troop 20912 A
- 3rd $50.00: The Three Musketeers
3rd thru 6th Individual
- 1st $50.00: Lindsy Richards
- 2nd $30.00: Katlyn Setser
- 3rd $20.00: Robb Niblick
3rd thru 6th Group
- 1st $100.00: GS Troop 20068 Group #2
- 2nd $75.00: GS Troop 20068 Group #4
- 3rd $50.00: GS Troop 20068 Group #1
- 1st $50.00: Larissa Johnson
- 2nd $30.00: Brittany Richards
- 3rd $20.00: Jake Knoke
- 1st $100.00: Leigh and Laurel Flegge
- 2nd $75.00: S.P.E.W.
- 3rd $50.00: Anthis Culinary Group A
- 1st $100.00: Gretchen Andrus
- 2nd $75.00: Jennifer Balkenbusch
- 3rd $50.00: Caren Merz
- 1st $150.00: Cookie Friends
- 2nd $125.00: Creative Confections Cake Club
- 3rd $100.00: Coventry Meadows Residents
- 1st $125.00: The Scheele Family
- 2nd $100.00: The Eagleson Family
- 3rd $75.00: The Fransen Family
- 1st $300.00: Carolyn Pruden
- 2nd $200.00: Vickie Short
- 3rd $100.00: Caren Merz
- Student $150.00: Max Niblick
- Adult $250.00: Cookie Friends
- Student Individual $125.00: Victoria Etzler
- Student Group $125.00: S.P.E.W.
- Adult Individual $225.00: Carolyn Pruden
- Adult Group $225.00: The Jennings/Klepper Family
A special category was created for this Silver Anniversary which has as its title sponsor Lutheran Health Network.
On “Lighting Night”, November 24, visitors can get a sneak peek at the handiwork of creators from 5 to 9 p.m. Admission is only $2 a person at the door for “Lighting Night”. At 6 p.m. that evening the History Center’s turret will be lit with special holiday colors of red and green.
Special holiday exhibits during the Festival include a Wolf and Dessauer display of animatronic characters, an exhibit of “A Christmas Carol” watercolors that once adorned the Patterson Fletcher Department Store; and a display of holiday photos from years past.
A variety of special events will occur during the Festival of Gingerbread.
- Saturday, November 27th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM, Create Your Own Ornament
- Sunday, November 28th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM, Holiday Storytelling
- Tuesday, November 30th, 5:00PM to 9:00PM, Free Night sponsored by AEP Indiana-Michigan Power
- Saturday, December 4th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM, Visit with Santa Claus
- Sunday, December 5th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM, “History of Holiday Traditions in Different Cultures” lecture by Sara Gabbard
- Saturday, December 11th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM, Science of Sugary Structures, $3 per person, sponsored by PNC Bank and Science Central
- Sunday, December 12th, 1:00PM to 3:00PM., Cookie Decorating Party, $1 per person
Stay current on these events by visiting the History Center’s Facebook page or web site at .
Hours during the Festival of Gingerbread are Monday through Thursday 9 am to 5 pm; Friday 9 am to 8 pm; Saturday 9 am to 5 pm; and Sunday Noon to 5 pm. The History Center will be closed Thanksgiving Day.
Admission is $5 adults, $3 seniors and students, and free to children age 5 and under. There is no extra charge for special activities or events unless indicated. School or private groups can receive a discounted rate by scheduling in advance. Call Leanna Harney, education coordinator, at 260.426.2882 x309.
The History Center is located at 302 East Berry Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana. For more information, visit, or call (260) 426-2882.