Press release from the Indiana Senate Majority Caucus:
Long Broadens GOP Senate Leadership
(November 16, 2010) – President Pro Tem David Long (R-Fort Wayne) today announced his Republican Senate Leadership team for the 2011-2012 session of the Indiana General Assembly. Many are reappointments and familiar names, but some choices signal Long’s broadening of leadership responsibilities among newer and younger senators.
Long was again selected as pro tem and Sen. Jim Merritt (R-Indianapolis) was re-elected caucus chair on Nov. 3.
Long today reappointed key members of his leadership team, including Sens. Connie Lawson (R-Danville) as Majority Floor Leader, Brandt Hershman (R-Lafayette) as Majority Whip, Sue Landske (R-Cedar Lake) as Assistant President Pro Tem, Brent Steele (R-Bedford) Assistant Majority Floor Leader for Parliamentary Procedures and Richard Bray (R-Martinsville) as Assistant Majority Caucus Chair.
New assignments announced today include: Sens. Johnny Nugent (R-Lawrenceburg) as Majority Floor Leader Emeritus, Mike Delph (R-Carmel) as Assistant Majority Floor Leader for Communications, Travis Holdman (R-Markle) as Assistant Majority Whip and Carlin Yoder (R-Middlebury) as Assistant Majority Caucus Chair.
Committee Chairs, Ranking Members
Long also named chairs and ranking members of key committees, including two new ones in the Senate’s lineup of legislative panels.
Sen. Jim Buck (R-Kokomo) will chair the Senate Committee on Ethics. Sen. Joe Zakas (R-Granger) will head the Senate Committee on Appointments and Claims. Sen. Mike Young (R-Indianapolis) will lead a new Senate Committee on Commerce and Economic Development. Sen. Ryan Mishler (R-Bremen) will chair a new Senate Committee on Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Mishler will also serve as new ranking majority member of the Senate Committee on Tax and Fiscal Policy. Sen. Ed Charbonneau (R-Valparaiso) will become the ranking majority member on the Senate Committee on Appropriations. Long named Sen. Jean Leising (R-Oldenburg) as the ranking majority member of the Senate Committee on Utilities and Technology.
Here is a complete list of Long’s announcement of Senate committees and committee chairs:
- Agriculture & Natural Resources: Sen. Ryan Mishler (R-Bremen)
- Appointments and Claims: Sen. Joseph Zakas (R-Granger)
- Appropriations: Sen. Luke Kenley (R-Noblesville)
- Commerce & Economic Development: Sen. R. Michael Young (R-Indianapolis)
- Corrections, Criminal & Civil Matters: Sen. Brent Steele (R-Bedford)
- Education & Career Development: Sen. Dennis Kruse (R-Auburn)
- Elections: Sen. Sue Landske (R-Cedar Lake)
- Energy & Environmental: Sen. Beverly Gard (R-Greenfield)
- Ethics: Sen. Jim Buck (R-Kokomo)
- Health & Provider Services: Sen. Patricia Miller (R-Indianapolis)
- Homeland Security, Transportation & Veterans Affairs: Sen. Tom Wyss (R-Fort Wayne)
- Insurance & Financial Institutions: Sen. Allen Paul (R-Richmond)
- Judiciary: Sen. Richard Bray (R-Martinsville)
- Local Government: Sen. Connie Lawson (R-Danville)
- Pensions & Labor: Sen. Phil Boots (R-Crawfordsville)
- Public Policy: Sen. Ron Alting (R-Lafayette)
- Rules & Legislative Procedures: Sen. David Long (R-Fort Wayne)
- Tax & Fiscal Policy: Sen. Brandt Hershman (R-Lafayette)
- Utilities & Technology: Sen. Jim Merritt (R-Indianapolis