Press release from the American Red Cross:
Blood donors invited to put â€˜zip’ in their life by giving life
American Red Cross provides chance to win weekend getaway
Getting away from it all has never been easier.
From Oct. 1 to Oct. 31, anyone who comes to donate blood or platelets through the Indiana-Ohio Region of the American Red Cross will be entered to win a weekend getaway package to two fabled attractions near Hocking Hills State Park in Logan, Ohio.
One lucky donor and a guest will be treated to a Friday night stay at the Inn and Spa at Cedar Falls, and a zip-line tour for two through the Hocking Hills Canopy Tours. The winner can stay any Friday night at the Inn from Nov. 15, 2010 through May 15, 2011, and then redeem the two-and-a-half hour zip-line tour on the Friday or Saturday of the selected weekend.
“We see this as an opportunity to add some â€˜zip’ to your life while helping to save a life, too,” says Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross.
People interested in donating can check out the accommodations and find out more about the zip-line tour by visiting the website for the Inn and Spa at Cedar Falls at innatcedarfalls.com, and Hocking Hills Canopy Tours at hockinghillscanopytours.com.
Whether you are returning to give blood or donating for the first time, the Red Cross encourages individuals to make and keep appointments to give blood throughout the seasons. Blood is a perishable product that can only come from generous volunteer blood donors. Each day, more than 39,000 pints of blood are needed by patients across the United States.
UPCOMING AMERICAN RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES IN YOUR AREA:
- Saturday, Oct. 16, from 7 a.m. until 1 p.m. at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in the cafeteria, located at 3425 Crescent Ave. in Fort Wayne. Please call 483-3173 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Tuesday, Oct. 19, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at Scott’s Foods, located at 4522 Maplecrest Road in Fort Wayne. Please call 485-9628 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Thursday, Oct. 21, from 1 p.m. until 3:30 p.m. at RE/MAX Results, located at 8101 Coldwater Road in Fort Wayne. Please call 490-1590 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Saturday, Oct. 23, from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. at Science Central, located at 1950 N. Clinton St. in Fort Wayne. Please call 424-2400, ext. 442 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Wednesday, Oct. 27, from 3 p.m. until 7 p.m. at St. Johns Lutheran Lake Township, located at 7914 W. Cook Road in Fort Wayne. Please call 489-5031 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Thursday, Oct. 28, from noon until 6 p.m. at Belmont Beverage, located at 3309 N. Anthony Blvd. in Fort Wayne. Please call 424-4604 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
- Thursday, Oct. 28, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Coldwell Banker Roth Wehrly Graber, located at 5503 Coventry Lane in Fort Wayne. Please call 341-0380, ext. 8121 or 459-4541 to schedule your blood donation appointment.
Fort Wayne Donor Center located at 1212 E. California Road in Fort Wayne, (across from the Memorial Coliseum)
Traditional whole blood or double red cell donation:
- Mon. & Tues. 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Weds. & Thurs. noon – 6 p.m.
- Fri. & Sat. 8 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Platelet pheresis donation (call 1-800-589-8127 or 260-480-8299 to schedule a platelet donation):
- Mon. 6:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Tues. & Weds. 11:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Thurs. 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Fri. 6:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
- Sat. 6:30 a.m. – noon
- Sun. 8:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Lutheran Hospital Donor Center located at 7900 W. Jefferson Blvd., Suite 107 in Fort Wayne (in the South Lobby of Lutheran Hospital) Traditional whole blood or platelet pheresis donation (no platelet pheresis on Wednesdays):
- Monday through Wednesday: noon – 6 p.m.
- Thursday through Saturday: 6 a.m. – noon
- Sunday: by appointment only
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in some states), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in more than 60 hospitals. In addition to providing blood to our community, the American Red Cross also provides relief to victims of disaster, trains millions in lifesaving skills, serves as a communication link between U.S. military members and their families, and assists victims of international disasters or conflicts.