Press release from CANI:
CANI announces changes to Energy Assistance Program
CANI (Community Action of Northeast Indiana) has announced several changes to its energy assistance program (EAP), which runs from Oct. 5 to May 13.
- Social Security card required for all members of household over age one
- Utility accounts can not be held in a minor’s name
- Income documentation from your employer showing the past 12 months of gross income
- CANI can not provide assistance for utilities included in clients’ rent payments
CANI is making appointments for all of its offices in Allen, DeKalb, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, and Whitley counties.
Applicants must meet income levels:
- One-person household – No more than $15,315 annually.
- Two-person household – No more thanÂ $20,535 annually.
- Three-person household – No more than $25,755 annually
- Four-person household – No more than $30,975 annually
- Add $5,220 for each additional family member.
At all locations, you must bring with you:
- Documentation of all household gross income (payroll check stubs, letter from employer, award letters, unemployment income, child support; veterans benefits; TANF; Social Security; pensions, etc. ) for the past 12 months for everyone in the household 18 years of age and older.
- Current heating and light bills at current residence.
- Social Security numbers for everyone in the household.
To make an appointment, call CANI at 423-3546 or (800) 589-2264. An online application can be found at. CANI will also mail applications if needed. Those who received mail-in applications are asked to return them by Sept. 30.
The Energy Assistance Program (EAP) helps pay a portion of a client’s heating bills during the winter months. The program also provides air conditioners and utility bill credits during summer months, depending on a family’s situation. Last year, CANI helped more than 14,000 families with their utility bills.
CANI helps communities, families, and individuals remove the causes and conditions of poverty. For more information about CANI and the services provided, see.